EXCLUSIVE: USC investigated for gender-based discrimination against man

He claims he was denied counseling for sexual trauma at the Center of Women and Men

A male student’s complaint that USC discriminated against him on the basis of his gender is currently being investigated by the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights.

According to an email obtained exclusively by The Tab USC, the Office for Civil Rights is looking into two allegations.

First, the male student claims that USC discriminated against him on the basis of sex because: “it failed to provide him a prompt and equitable response to a sexual harassment/assault complaint filed against him and to a sexual harassment/assault complaint he filed against a fellow student.”

The email from the Office for Civil Rights obtained by The Tab USC

The second charge says: “The University subjected him to different treatment on the basis of sex when he was denied counseling for sexual trauma at the Center of Women and Men.”

Given that USC is already under investigation for multiple violations of Title IX, this case, notable for its subversion of traditionally-assumed gender roles, comes at a particularly pivotal moment in the university’s current cultural climate.

University of Southern California