University of Rhode Island basically copied all of our school traditions

They want to be us

This weekend, it came to Twitter’s attention that The University of Rhode Island’s alma mater is disturbingly similar to UNC’s.

This copycat controversy pops up every once in a while and even has its own section on Wikipedia. Who knew the story goes deeper? One Google search will show you The University of Rhode Island has no original thoughts. To quote “Mean Girls,” when we buy army pants and flip flops, they buy army pants and flip flops.

To prove URI basically wants to be us, here are all of their traditions that are eerily similar to UNC’s:

School colors

First, they stole our colors. URI uses Keaney blue – after former men’s basketball coach Frank Keaney – white and navy. Carolina blue is technically lighter than Keaney blue, but the resemblance is super obvious.

School mascots

Next, they have a ram as their mascot. UNC’s Ramses was first seen in 1924 after Jack Merritt was called the “Battering Ram” in 1922. URI SUPPOSEDLY chose the ram as their mascot in 1923 but they didn’t introduce it until 1929. Seems fishy.

The fight song

And of course, the fight song isn’t even safe. Sure, their music is a little different than ours but the tune is definitely the same. Not to mention, the lyrics are basically copy-and-pasted from our iconic alma mater.

gorhody.com

Sorry, URI, but UNC will always be the first and the best. We actually have a live ram to trim the hedges during football games. Rameses is definitely judging you.

UNC Hide Images