Thank You Bruce

‘Some things are more important than a rock show’

Since the House Bill 2 signing at the end of last month, many angry residents of North Carolina have been speaking out against the discriminatory law.

Public figures have voiced their opposition as well, including celebrities tweeting their disgust at the backwards legislation.

And then they were joined by the Boss himself, Bruce Springsteen.

Scheduled to perform tonight in Greensboro, Springsteen and his E Street Band have cancelled their show.

Photo courtesy of The Tab UNC photographer, Perry Morrison III.

Quoted in the Washington Post, Springsteen said, “Some things are more important than a rock show and this fight against prejudice and bigotry — which is happening as I write — is one of them.”

Thank you, Bruce for taking that stand. It may leave some fans unhappy, but it will be worth it if it demonstrates to Republican lawmakers and their supporters just how wrong HB2 is.

We have to hope other high profile figures follow suit – musicians, professional athletes, companies, actors or filmmakers.

While his show may be cancelled tonight, ticket holders will be receiving refunds – and they have another reason to look up to the Boss.

“I feel that this is a time for me and the band to show solidarity for those freedom fighters,” he said.

We couldn’t agree more.

UNC