The ‘Canes may have lost last night, but at least we have class

VT fans hung a pretty disgusting banner

This morning I woke up embarrassed at the beating the Hurricanes suffered last night, then I went on social media, and I was embarrassed for the VT fans.

I was at the Virginia Tech – Miami game last night, and most Hokies were more respectful than I expected them to be to someone wearing green and orange. But clearly some crossed the line from friendly football rivals to offensive and insensitive assholes.

This sign, reading “Bury the U next to JosĂ© Fernandez,” was hanging outside the school’s fraternity apartments, where people were tailgating before the game.

Fernandez was a respected and beloved member of Miami when he tragically passed away in a boating accident this past September. The Cuban-born baseball player was only 24 when he passed, and his death was upsetting, to say the least, for Cubans, baseball fans, and Americans everywhere.

His team, the Miami Marlins, paid tribute to him in a series of ways, as did the Hurricanes. UM football players wore Fernandez’s number, 16, along with “JF” decals on their helmets during their next game in September.

VT making anti-Miami signs isn’t surprising – we all do it. But this sign crossed a line. We may have lost yesterday, but at least our students have more respect for people and for sports.

Feature image Barstool Sports.

University of Miami