What to expect this festival season

Get your flower crowns and baby wipes ready

The birds are chirping, flowers are blooming and just like that festival season has officially started. Whether you plan on hitting up the “crème de la crème” of music festivals like Ultra, Coachella or Bonnaroo, or you’ll be enjoying a smaller local one like Florida’s very own SunFest, it is an experience like no other.

The first weekend of spring break I checked out the first annual Okeechobee Music and Arts Festival for what was by far the best weekend of my life. While this was technically not my first festival, it was the first one I camped on the grounds for. So coming from your resident festival newbie, here are some things to expect based on my experience:

You’ll meet amazing people

Can you tell we all met 30 minutes before the picture was taken?

There is a saying that Disney World is the happiest place on earth but I beg to differ. There is something about the environment of a festival that brings people together no matter their color or creed. At Okeechobee I met some of the most interesting people that I would probably never have talked to otherwise. If you are open to it you can form bonds that can last a lifetime.

You’ll experience life changing performances

Third row for Odesza? I’ll take it.

The main event of a music festival is obviously the music. There is nothing like jamming out to back-to-back sets from your favorite artists with thousands of other people who are just as excited as you are.

You’ll see wild stuff

Casual drum circle at 3AM featuring fire benders? I’m down.

When you aren’t having the time of your life at a set, most festivals are a complete cultural experience featuring vendors, art, food and, a college students two favorite words, free stuff. Okeechobee had an all day yoga tent, a beach-like area, and literal fire benders (okay not literally but it was as close as it gets). Plus a good amount of people are under some type of influence during festivals so there is no telling what you may see.

And you’ll absolutely dread leaving on the final day

Festivals are like a perfect little bubble, full of fun, happiness, and good vibes only but after a few days the fest will come to an end. You will inevitably have to part ways from your new best friends and return to the real world. The post-festival depression will be real, but now you get to brag on social media and try to relive the weekend through pictures and videos.

Plus if you camped like I did, you will be happy to finally shower and pee in something other than a port-a-potty. All things considered, I’m already counting down the days until next year.

University of Miami national-us