‘I wouldn’t be surprised if someone got away with raping you’

Man leaves horrifying comments on UMass student’s Instagram

This afternoon Elizabeth Benbenek, UMass student, alerted Facebook friends about a revolting comment posted on her Instagram:

“Bitch why the fuck are you facing a fence? Oh wait you just tryna show off dat ass. Wouldn’t be surprised if someone got away with raping you.”

In a comment one hour later he wrote:

“Holy fuck I just realized you almost killed yourself a couple years ago. I’m sorry and really proud of you”

In a Facebook status she wrote: “No one will EVER get away with raping me.

“Stating that you are proud of my mental health journey doesn’t make the first part better.

“AS HORRIFYING AS THIS IS, IM A STRAIGHT WHITE WOMAN. OTHER PEOPLE ARE BEING ATTACKED ON DEEPER LEVELS. LOVE ONE ANOTHER AND STAND UP FOR EACH OTHER.”

When reached out to for comment she said:

“The thing is, this doesn’t phase me at all. This is so normal that it SUCKS. This isn’t defeat though. this is just motivation. There has always been a fire inside me.

“Being female is bad as fuck and as white women we have a duty to every minority in this country, to project what they say so it’s heard. We may be women but we are white, we have power so we should use it. Who runs the world, who needs to run the world. GIRLS.

“I’m not scared to have my opinion heard. I want a mega phone”

UMass Amherst