Question four: A light in the dark

O’Hill is about to get a lot more chill

Many are attempting to see the good in all this mess through the passing of question four in Massachusetts. Yes, weed is now legal at UMass! But what does that mean-aside from the Hill becoming much more populated?

Well, here is what will happen come December 2016.

How much is legal? 

It will be legal, for those over the age of 21, to possess under 10 oz. of marijuana in the house or under 1 oz. in public.

Can you grow it?

Yes – you can grow up to six plants at home.

How much will it cost? 

The tax on regulated marijuana is, sadly, going to be very high. There will be a 3.75% tax added on to the 6.25% sales tax already in place in MA. That’s a 10% tax on an already pretty pricey commodity.

Repost from the genius @thiscannabislife ・・・ United States of Weed ??? here's to the 9 states voting towards legalization ??

A photo posted by FEZ (@fezvapor) on Nov 8, 2016 at 11:35am PST

How will it benefit our economy? 

Aside from the revenue made through access taxes, our state will also earn money through licensing fees and minor violations. This revenue will in part be used to cover the administrative costs soon to arise.

When does the new law go into action? 

Marijuana will officially be legal on December 15th, 2016 – though don’t expect to start seeing weed-based stores until around January 2018.

UMass Amherst