Everything you need to know about exploring the 413

Tree by tree, and mountain by mountain

Interested in filling your week with more than just classes, homework, and campus-wide events? Here’s an idea: go outside! It might sound a bit self-explanatory, but venturing out into Western, MA can actually be quite enriching – what with all the hiking paths, lakes, bike trails, and more. So if you are worried about a boring week or long weekend ahead…no need to fear – adventure is about to present itself.

Here are some of the great spots to head to in the area for some amazing nature experiences.

Puffers Pond

Just a few minutes away from UMass is a pond like no other! ….Okay so it is a bit like some other ponds, BUT it is very fun, and very easy to get to. Take a car, bus, or (if you are feeling even more outdoorsy) walk! In the warm weather, this is the perfect spot to let off some steam and take a dip in the cool water. So, if you have yet to hit this much loved location, get there before the weather’s too cold! You may not be swimming by the looks of the new, cold temperatures headed our way, but be sure to go for the nature paths and quaint views that the pond supplies.

Mount Sugarloaf

Just a hop, skip, and pretty awesome hike away is Mount Sugarloaf, located in South Deerfield, MA. Climb to the top, and you’ll be able to see the Connecticut River Valley like never before. The picturesque view it provides is just what any of you Instagram fanatics are looking for if you want to gain that artsy-fartsy mountain-climbing selfie.

#photoops on top of #mountsugarloaf

A photo posted by BR (@jbr_pics) on Aug 28, 2016 at 11:57am PDT

Quabbin Reservoir

Ever wonder where our tap water comes from? Here’s the spot! Quabbin Reservoir is a beautiful place to go, take pictures, witness one breathtaking view, and simply hang out. It’s kind of random, kind of cool, and a definite must-see spot.

Apple Picking

Who doesn’t love apple picking at this time of year? The answer better be unanimous: no one. Apple-picking is the quintessential New England tradition during this time of year, and we are in a location perfect for finding nearby locals to do just that. Need some suggestions on where to go? Cold Spring Orchard in Belchertown, Red Apple Farm in Phillipston, and Echo Hill Orchards and Winery in Monson are all within an hours drive from UMass. So get your friends ready, and start picking!

Mount Holyoke

Here is mountain suggestion number two! This is a quick and relatively simple hike that leads to a great view; in fact, you can see UMass from the summit if you search hard enough (yes, the Du Bois Library looks like a little ant from up there). If you are into hiking but just want a relatively short activity rather than a day trip, then this is a great option. Not to mention, it is located on a UMass bus route!

The Rail Trail

Are you a bike-riding enthusiast? If so, then take a ride along the Norwottuck Rail Trail! This bike path traverses throughout Western, MA, and you are sure to have seen parts of it around campus. It connects to the various colleges in the area and is nestled close by – thus very easy to locate. You know that stunning bridge you may pass to get to school each semester? You’ll be riding right over it on this trail towards adventure soon enough!

Mike’s Maze

A.K.A. an autumn tradition like no other. Warner Farm in Sunderland, MA puts together a giant maze with a different theme each year, of which the theme for this year’s maze is “See America,” celebrating the 100th anniversary of the U.S. National Parks. If you are interested in a more spooky twist on a corn-maze, Warner Farm also hosts a separate haunted maze, zombie night patrol, and more.

Mount Tom

And finally, one last hike! Mount Tom in Holyoke, MA is a beautiful mountain that contains various trails, some of which are more flat and others that go toward the summit. Take a trip there for more photo-worthy views and moments to remember. You are bound to have a great time!

So, what are you waiting for?! Head outside and embrace the great outdoors. The Pioneer Valley has so much to offer with regard to natural wonders, and you are truly missing out if you let those opportunities to explore pass by. Take a hike, ride a bike, go for a stroll, or maybe just stand outside for a while. Whatever you do, enjoy yourself within the beauty that is Western Massachusetts.

UMass Amherst