In honor of Connor: UMass photography legend, fraternity brother, and loving friend

Forever missed, never forgotten

Connor Cummings, 20, UMass sophomore Psych major, passed away on the evening of December 30th, after a tragic accident.

At 11:15pm, he and an 18-year-old friend climbed within a Four Seasons hotel in Midtown, NY.

Connor fell 25 feet, hitting his head, where he was pronounced dead at the scene. Connor’s plan for climbing was to try to snap a photo of the NY skyline scenery from above.

He was doing what he loved to do, which was to take and edit stunning photographs and tell his story to anyone who would take interest.

Connor was a brother of Alpha Sigma Phi, and participated as their Social Media Chair, Historian and Assistant Recruitment Chair.

He was involved with various photography clubs on campus, and took photos of anything and everything, having a story to go with each one.

From Connor’s Instagram account @consception. Original caption: “My Legacy // at this time of year especially, there is a lot of emphasis on involvement in family. It reminds me of how lucky I am to have the loving parents I grew under, that still constantly stay involved in my life. With that being said, I cant wait to be the best father I could possibly be. Although having a child is nothing to rush, I always look forward to that important time in my life.”

“Connor was my brother and someone that I woke up to every morning and he greeted me with a smile,” said Alpha Sig brother and Vice President, Liam Feeney.

“It’s not going to be the same around here this semester. He was so energetic and gave life to our fraternity.”

“I’m  trying to look at this in a positive light,” said Alpha Sig brother, Anders Helgason.

“Such a negative incident needs to be looked at positively, because Connor is that great. He deserves to be remembered. I’ve never met a more kind or loving person. His photos are unreal, and people need to know about this kid. I love him.”

A memorial service with Connor’s friends and family at UMass is to be determined. His brothers and close friends are in the midst of planning something to honor his warm personality and his impeccable talent.

Connor is one of the most positive, passionate, driven and jovial human beings I have been graced to know. We always discussed our dreams of working for National Geographic and traveling, taking photos and telling stories.

Maybe one day I’ll be able to carry out that dream for us.

It was a pleasure and a privilege getting to know you, Connor. Rest ever so peacefully, we love you.

Follow Connor’s Instagram @consception to see all of his beautiful work and keep his spirit alive.

UMass Amherst amherst connor cummings connorcummings instagram photography umass umass amherst