Two UH students assaulted at M.D. Anderson Library

‘I guess the guy attacking her pushed her down to the ground because she was bleeding from her mouth’

According to UHPD, two students were assaulted in the M.D Anderson Library within five minutes of each other on Thursday afternoon.

A police report sent to all University of Houston students via email on Thursday night at 8PM said: “On Thursday, September 1, 2016, a UH student reported being touched in a sexual manner at approximately 3:30pm while in the M.D. Anderson Library.

“An unknown male approached the student from behind and used both hands to touch her buttocks. The suspect did not say anything and immediately left the area. The student was not injured. UHPD is actively investigating this case.”

A second incident on the crime log reportedly happened at 3:35pm. It said: “A UH student reported that an unidentified male suspect grabbed her around the waist line… then fled when the student screamed out loud. The suspect was not located by responding UHPD police officers”.

An eyewitness said: “I was studying on the 6th floor and everything was quiet. Out of the blue, there was a girl screaming for help. A bunch of us ran to the stairwell by the freight elevators and the girl was crying. I guess the guy attacking her pushed her down to the ground because she was bleeding from her mouth.

“We tried to chase him down but he was gone. The girl is okay; she is talking to the police now. She said that she didn’t know him and it was just some dude trying to attack her…in the middle of the day in the library…people suck.”

According to UHPD, the suspect is described as “Black male; short black hair; medium skin color; approximately 5’4″- 5’6” tall; skinny to medium build, 20-25 YOA; wearing a red shirt, khaki shorts.”

Considering that the nationwide statistic is that 1 in 5 girls will be sexually assaulted while on campus, this is a harrowing ordeal that hits close to home.

I asked some friends of mine what their thoughts were about the incident.

Valerie Ayala, 21, Industrial Engineering

“What about the security footage? The library is a popular place, it should have the proper security in place. If it’s the flasher from last week, there should’ve been security footage. if that’s the case, why do we not have proper angles for cameras or proper security in place? You would figure after one incident, there would be some kind of improvement. For having a lot of people going in and out, they could have more than one/two security guard(s) visible in the library.”

Nikhil Kottapalli, 20, Honors Biomedical Sciences 

“It’s upsetting that students aren’t able to walk around campus without having to worry about another person touching them inappropriately. It’s sick in every way. Hopefully the suspect gets punished, setting a precedent for other people who commit such crimes so that others won’t do similar things.”

Nathalie Barsoum, 20, Psychology/Pre-Medicine

“Personally, I think it is sickening how some people live in a backwards world where they think it is okay to do that. I’ve been hearing a lot of people that don’t feel safe going into the library because this happened in the middle of the day and they are scared it will happen to them. Are his actions even worth it? He terrified that girl and scared a lot of people from going into a library now and for what? Just for the satisfaction of touching that girl!? Now that man faces arrests and being labeled as a sex offender all because he couldn’t keep his hands to himself. It’s so difficult to understand what goes on in people’s heads sometimes. But anyways, I always remind my friends who are scared of something like this happening to them that they have EVERY right to defend themselves by any means necessary!”

University of Houston