What your major at UGA says about you

Business majors will be sure to let Facebook know they got into Terry

While we are all Dawgs, there are many different breeds of dawgs on our campus. I’m not talking about golden retrievers or poodles, but rather the different majors represented at UGA. Students tend to run in the same circles as like-minded individuals, and can be generalized by their specific characteristics. Let’s stereotype some college students!

Social work majors

You may see these nose ring-sporting, flannel-wearing humanitarians walking around campus toting their yoga mats, or at the Arch protesting the injustices of society. Most of these future social workers are women, so if you meet a male social work major, become friends with them, because they’re practically unicorns. Some are hippies, some are hipsters, some are Christians, some are vegans, but all of them are social justice warriors that will roast you if you say anything offensive or politically incorrect.

Philosophy majors

These deep thinkers are itching to start an argument—oops, I mean discussion—whether it’s in their breakout classes during the week or over a pint at the Globe on the weekend. You may overhear them debating over the schools of thought of Aristotle or Nietzsche. You have the disciples of the great philosophers who aren’t on social media, and then you have the wannabe philosophers who post intellectual quotes as captions on their pensive Instagram selfies.

Science majors

Bless their hearts, these poor souls have it pretty bad. FACT: Nobody likes O-Chem and some of these science majors have to take more than one semester of it. After they wake up from their day-long hibernation after a test, they can be found in the SLC the day after, chugging coffee and studying for their next test that is two weeks away. We always wonder how our friends who are science majors survive, but they’re always too busy for us to ask them.

Business majors

If these aspiring CEOs can make it into the prestigious Terry College of Business, they will absolutely let all of their Facebook friends know. These business majors worship Capitalism and will let you know they are constantly “on the grind” so they can graduate and increase their return on investment. They have the luxury of having their classes in the nice new buildings on Lumpkin and can’t wait to tell you about their new internship with a Fortune 500 company.

Art majors

We are all jealous of their Instagram aesthetic. While other students are downtown or holed up in the MLC, caffeine-crazed art students are working late into the night at the Lamar Dodd building, either creating the next Renaissance-style masterpiece or a canvas covered in Flamin’ Hot Cheetos and glitter. The Dodd is also your best bet for finding Goodwill ensembles and unnatural hair colors. If you want a major where you are allowed to doodle and look at naked models in class, then art is for you.

University of Georgia