How to spot a journalism major at UGA

They’re always lugging equipment around

The Grady School of Journalism isn’t the biggest school at UGA, but it’s certainly up there. Journalism students are everywhere, and you might be surprised at just how many there are.

Of course, the easiest way to find out is to ask, but there are numerous ways you can spot a Journalism major on campus.

Their home away from home

Photo: UGA / The journalism building

Find the journalism building. You may not know it off the top of your head, but it’s centrally located. Right across the street from Memorial Hall and the bookstore, the journalism building is nestled right at the heart of campus.  Journalism students can be found mingling right outside. They are often seen outside doing work for class, recording a video or trying out some new equipment. Either way, the easiest way to find them is by going to where they live.

They’re probably carrying equipment

How to pick out the journalists from the rest of the meandering crowd? The easiest identifier is their equipment. They might have a recorder in hand, a camera strung around their neck, or a bunch of equipment you don’t even know the names of. They’re very observant and seem to be constantly taking note of their surroundings. Some of them might actually take notes and pull out a notepad to jot something down.

Bag check

Another tell tale sign of a journalism student is the contents of their bag. They always have their laptop with them. Always. There are very few exceptions. They’d probably even grab their laptop if the apocalypse struck. Someone’s gotta write about it, right?

They have a bookmarks bar filled with news articles

You better bet they have tons of news sites bookmarked. Their bookmark bar is full of them. Their home page might even be their favorite one. Or their least favorite so they can keep up with the ridiculousness of it.

They always have ‘the essentials’

Paper and pen are the classic journalist essentials. They will always have them, even in the most unlikely situations. They come prepared. Who knows, a situation may come around where the old fashioned way is the only way. You never know when that hard hitting journalist will need to spring into action.

The notebook and pen I always have in my bag

They always have something to say

Everyone is unique, but journalists have a few shared characteristics. They always have some interesting news to tell, whether it be local or international.

They’re constantly tuned in

They’re constantly tuned into the news world somehow.  It’s like they have an earpiece, secret agent style, from which they constantly hear news. They will have news websites and journals bookmarked on their computer. Honestly, a true journalism student will have two or three news apps downloaded right on their phone.

They love to write

Journalism students can also be found writing something and enjoying it. It could be an article, or just a bit of free-writing. No matter the subject, they find joy in writing on a daily basis if they can.

They always ask questions

Questions. They ask a lot of questions, even if they aren’t writing an article. Journalism students are just the curious type and they ask good questions. They probably ask the big six the most: Who? What? When? Where? Why? How? You’re probably starting to get a few people in mind.

Me checking my camera before I head out on a shoot

They’re passionate

Journalism students are passionate, as are most people who truly enjoy their major. They have a love of telling stories and a desire that drives them to. Get them talking about writing or what they want to write about and you can see it in their face. There’s a passion there unlike any other. That’s how you’ll know for sure. Could they talk for hours about writing or stories or current? Bingo. Journalism student. Are they an intent listener? Journalism student.

Now that you know what to look for, you’ll be seeing journalism students all over campus.

University of Georgia