How to survive freshman year at UGA

Athens will be your home away from home for the next four years

First things first, welcome to UGA! It’s a fantastic place full of wonderfully diverse people, and you’re going to love it here.

However, getting acclimated to college can take some time, so here are some tips to help.

Explore campus

The fountain on Herty Field on North Campus

Learning your way around campus is probably the biggest hurdle you’ll come across. Take some time to get to know the campus you call home. Find some of the little hidden areas like the Turtle Pond on South Campus. Once you know where your classes are going to be, take a day to find them before the semester begins.

Bring some friends along, grab a map of campus (I suggest you use the UGA app on your phone to avoid looking like a complete new kid), some water and explore. If you can get to your classes without getting lost by the end of drop/add week, then things are going well. Heck, I still get lost on campus sometimes and UGA is my second home. The best way to avoid looking lost is to act confident. If you pretend like you know where you are going, no one will think otherwise.

Discover yourself

My friend and I volunteering with Housing at the start of the semester

Carve out some alone time for yourself. Meeting new people and making friends is important, but college is also about getting to know yourself better. It’s good to be alone sometimes. At first, it might seem intimidating to walk around campus by yourself, or to go to the dining hall without your roommate, but it’s a totally acceptable and normal thing. Having the confidence to be alone is a step toward finding your place.

Ask confidently

The best way to learn is to ask questions. Don’t be afraid to ask a stupid question. There is no such thing. It’s better to ask and to know than to not ask and just guess. Whether it’s asking the professor to go over something again, or asking someone on the bus which stop to get off at, asking questions is OK. Then you’ll know how to answer when someone else asks you the same question. Knowledge is power.

Reach out

Me (second from top left) with the rest of the 2015-16 Myers Community Council.

I know you’ve probably heard it a thousand times, but go to your professor’s office hours if you can. You don’t have to go to meet every one of your professors, but that class you’re having a hard time with – be it Calculus, Anatomy, or History of Rock and Roll – your professor is always your best resource.

Find your home

Fish tacos, fried plantains, and sweet potato chips from Cali N Tito’s on Lumpkin

Get involved and get to know your community. It’s the best way to make connections and learn even more about the place that will be your home for the next few years. There are so many amazing organizations on campus. Take advantage of them.

Get to know Athens in addition to just UGA. Peruse the shops downtown on the weekends. Try new food and scope out new restaurants. Experiencing everything this town has to offer is important. Athens will become your home away from home. Find your favorite restaurant. Discover your favorite coffee shop. Take a stab at learning the city bus system.

Get these notches in your belt, and you’ll be on your way to the greatest four (or five) years of your life.

University of Georgia