What to expect during winter session 2017 at UD

Snow dages are the best dages

Winter is coming…but instead of White Walkers, it’s those damn slippery bricks that will get you. As someone who has done winter session every year since I was a freshman, one might call me an expert at all things winter in wonderful Newark. If you have never done Winter Session, or forget what it’s like, read ahead for what to expect.

The only dining halls open will be Pencader and Kent

If you plan on having a meal plan this Winter Session, and live somewhere other than North Campus or The Green, good luck trekking through the cold because THE ONLY DINING HALLS THAT WILL BE OPEN ARE PENCADER AND KENT. The horror!!!! If that isn’t bad enough, retail dining locations like The Scrounge in Perkins and food in Trabant will have ADJUSTED SCHEDULES.

It’s okay, don’t freak out. There’s a way to prepare for this. Stock up on food from your closest Pod: perishables like Easy Mac and Ramen Noodles will do, but there’s also plenty of healthy options for those of you who care about yourself. As for adjusted schedules, look them up before you walk all the way to Einstein’s only to find out they closed an hour ago.

It will be cold, and you will have a coat stolen

I know it doesn’t seem like it, mostly due to the 50-degree weather we’re having right now, but don’t let “global warming” fool you: that’s just a hoax propagated by China, right? But seriously, it gets freaking cold here. Two years ago, we had like, four snow days. One of the days it wasn’t even snowing, it was just super cold!

To prepare for this, wear as many ridiculous layers as you can. Don’t care about looking cute. I say layers because you know your lecture hall in Smith will be at least 100 degrees inside. On top of that, stolen coats at parties are the number one cause of hypothermia at UD (fact-check me). If you’re the type of person who doesn’t bring a coat out because you believe the myth that alcohol makes you warm, please stop. Bring a jacket and don’t leave it in an obvious spot. Try the washing machine or under a car instead.

Classes. Every. Day.

If you don’t know, or it hasn’t hit you yet, winter classes are every day. You’re probably used to sleeping ‘til 11 on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s, but you better break that habit fast. Going to the same class(es) every day is like having a full-time job—grow up and get used to it.

Even though you’ll be taking way less classes than usual, you may feel more stressed because professors are trying to squeeze a semester’s worth of material into a month. To combat this, you’ll need to change your lifestyle a bit: this could mean not going out every Tuesday and Thursday, or learning to manage your time better. Complaining with your classmates is always a nice stress relief, too. The most important thing to know is that the syllabus ALWAYS changes. Get enough classmates to rebel against an assignment and 9/10 you won’t have to do it.

There will be some good in all this

If you missed the boat for Study Abroad, there are so many opportunities for learning right here at UD! I did some research, and there are workshops dedicated to giving students fun and interesting experiences over Winter Session. For instance, you can take a “Experiential Learning Trip to Wilmington,” where you will be encouraged to change your probably-negative perception of Wilmington by visiting cultural centers and community agencies. Food and transportation will be provided; so, if you’re low on flex or need to get away for the weekend, this could be the trip for you. For student’s living in dorms, check out “Cooking Workshop: Spice Kitchen!,” “Paint Night!,” or one of the several workshops focused on culture and identity. Make sure you sign-up quick—first come first served is always a bitch.

Snow dages are real

No one can forget the big snow dage of ’16. Think you’re going to stay in less on the weekends because of a blizzard? Think again. There’s no better element than snow to keep beer cold and nothing more freeing than frolicking around to the sound of no-longer-relevent Christmas music. You’ll feel like a degenerate walking across campus to party in 5 degree weather, but there’s a sense of camaraderie when one does this–that snow or shine, we still dage.

But, like most things, it’s all fun and games until the boys start “ice-skating” on dirty frozen puddles and someone breaks a nose. Have a first-aid kit on hand and to avoid the inevitable snow ball fight, get there early and build an igloo.

It will be over before you know it

The worst/best part about Winter Session is how quickly it ends and goes into Spring Semester. As you come to the end, you may feel like you can never catch a break, like you wish you stayed home instead, but you’re going to be in the study-groove and ready to tackle those spring classes. Plus, you’ll be so happy to see your friends who were away that it won’t even matter.

University of Delaware