Parents of UConn student Jeffny Pally sues firefighter in connection to her death

Jeffny Pally was fatally struck by a UConn fire department vehicle in October

The parents of University of Connecticut student Jeffny Pally, who was struck and killed by a UConn fire department vehicle in October 2016, are suing the firefighter in connection to her death.

On February 2, Abraham and Shiny Chemmarappally, filed a lawsuit in civil court against the driver of the vehicle which fatally struck Jeffny.

Jeffny was struck by the UConn Fire Department vehicle early in the morning on October 16, 2016 after she fell asleep resting against one of the Fire Department’s garage doors. Firefighter Dana E. Barrow Jr. was driving his Chevrolet Tahoe to respond to what turned out to be a false report at Northwest dorms.

While Barrow was cleared of any criminal charges after reconstruction of the scene confirmed Barrow had no way of seeing Jeffny in his line of sight prior to the incident, the Chemmarappally family is pursuing the case against both the driver, Mr. Barrow, as well as the state for “the negligence and carelessness” that caused the 19-year-old’s death.

Jeffny had reportedly been resting against the Fire Department door for approximately 20 minutes, as surveillance video shows, before falling backwards as the garage door was opened and subsequently being struck by the oncoming SUV. Despite feeling a bump as he drove away, Barrow claims he assumed it was a piece of equipment he ran over and continued to his call, only noticing Jeffny’s body upon his return 30 minutes later.

Walking to the Fire Department herself after having attended a party at the home of the Kappa Sigma fraternity, Jeffny’s blood alcohol concentration was 0.25, more than three times the legal limit.

Last week six UConn students, members of the Kappa Sigma fraternity, were arrested in association with the young woman’s death, charged with supplying alcohol to a minor at an off-campus party. The Kappa Sigma fraternity has also been suspended from the UConn campus.

Following these instances, was the blasphemous spray painting of the spirit rock between Alumni and Hilltop with the slogan “Frat lives matter.” The rock has since been repainted.

University of Connecticut