UCLA’s dining halls were ranked #30, but we all know they should be ranked #1

Who even knew dessert nachos existed?

It’s no secret: one of the best features of UCLA is the food. Underclassmen turn up for Rende, upperclassmen long for Covel, and everyone loves when friends visit so we can show off our daily options.

But in a recent post from LEND EDU, UCLA was ranked last on their list of top 30 dining halls. We rightfully beat out a lot of other schools, but any Bruin knows that we deserve the top slot based on the criteria.

Number of dining halls

We have four: B Plate, Covel, Feast and De Neve. They’re each spaced pretty well between the dorms, so accessibility is never an issue. What the article failed to mention is that in addition to our “dining halls”, we have four other restaurants on The Hill that take meal swipes and serve delicious food to go. With the addition of the Hedrick Study earlier this year, UCLA Housing has really upped our selection. Seriously, you will never get tired of anything here – and if you do, there are literally seven other options.

B-Caf is great for sandwiches and smoothies on the go

Hours of operations

The breakfast, lunch and dinner meal hours are perfectly allotted to match class schedules. Halls are open from 7am-9pm, so even with pesky 8am classes and tedious 6pm classes, you’re ensured to make it into a dining hall to recover. On weekends we have brunch hours, and who doesn’t love brunch? What’s more, the self-service restaurants have “late night” until 2am, the ideal setup for any college all-nighter aficionado.

The Hedrick Study: when only iced tea can fuel your 1am binge-watching

Cost of meal plan

The cost varies depending on the type of room you live in, since meal plans are tied with housing, but a variety of swipe options allows for each student to only pay for what they will need. There are even individual pricing options for residents who are low on swipes, their family/friends, and other students who simply want to dig in. These prices never rise above $14 depending on the time of day, which is a small fee for all-you-can-eat excellence. Our dining halls are so good, people will literally pay to get in.

Croque monsieur, monsieur?

Overall menu options

Have these people even been to B Plate? Listen to some of today’s options: Ground pork, onion and brown rice fritatta with broccolini. Chicken, white bean spread and wild mushroom slider. Cod with spicy roma sauce over herbed spaghetti.

I rest my case.

I would die for B Plate’s plantains

Special diet menu options

This quarter, UCLA Dining implemented a more comprehensive system of identifying allergens within dishes. Online, each menu item is accompanied by icons that show what each contains. This includes vegetarian and vegan dishes, gluten, dairy, eggs, shellfish, and more. Special Kosher and Halal menus are also offered at Covel, our Mediterranean dining hall. No matter where you go, you’ll be able to find something that fits your diet.

Covel is fun for the whole family

Seriously, if your parents are questioning the value of college tuition, take them to any of the eight (yeah, eight) dining options on The Hill. You can even find a fair selection in Ackerman Union if you’re on campus.

Anyone will agree: we definitely have the best food at any university, ever.

UCLA