UCLA students post notes of solidarity around campus

The ripple effects of last week’s election are still being felt

UCLA students have taken to leaving posters and sticky notes around campus with messages of strength and hope after the results of last week’s brutal election.

This poster, for example, was found in Hedrick Hall, a reminder to Clinton supporters to have hope. Just because Trump is president does not mean that everything she stands for is dead.

Others are making more general comments, inspiring students to stand strong amid the chaos. This note uses motivational phrases like “We are strong. We must fight. We must love” to keep students optimistic.

UCLA has been somewhat of a madhouse recently. There were several election viewing parties on campus, and tensions ran high as the polls went back and forth all evening. Students went from cheering to gawking to crying, trying to comprehend the whirlwind of emotions.

The final election results prompted outrage. Thousands of students protested last night, storming Westwood and shouting “fuck Donald Trump”.

Protesters brought speakers and blasted anti-Trump music while expressing their thoughts.

Sources from the protest explained that the LAPD got involved later in the evening. LAPD reportedly tried to herd the students off the streets with their cars, according to the sources. Students also supposedly had a pinata of Donald Trump, beating up and burning in a trash can.

On Bruin Walk, several messages have been posted to this announcement board. As of now, there are three typed messages. They read “This land is your land, this land is my land,” “Make love, not walls,” and “Dear black people, your lives matter.”

As well as the positive messages, some students are definitely still angry about the election results. This is an image from a dorm in De Neve Plaza on The Hill.

There are rumors among students regarding more anti-Trump protests in LA and Westwood. Some are finding other ways to cope, including the creation of a Facebook event called “Carpooling to Canada” and discussing methods of leaving the country.

Despite the uproar, it is important to remember that none of us are alone.

In the meantime, students are encouraged to uphold the True Bruin values of respect and accountability. It is as important as ever for us to stay united and be a role model generation.

UCLA