Cubs win and suddenly everyone at UChicago likes sports

We’re flying the W

After 108 years, the Chicago Cubs have won the World Series in a thrilling 8-7 extra-innings victory in Game 7 against the Cleveland Indians.

After blowing a three-run lead in the 8th inning, Ben Zobrist and Miguel Montero had key hits that ended up sealing the Cubs victory in the 10th.

Houses across campus watched the Cubs’ historic comeback from a 3-1 deficit in the series.

Although the game took place in Cleveland, many UChicago students ventured up to Wrigleyville to support the Cubs at local bars and restaurants surrounding Wrigley Field.

You know this must be big when UChicago students are so invested in a sporting event.

Students who stayed on campus gathered in their house lounges with no shortage of wings and snacks to watch the historic win.

When the game finally ended, cheers could be heard throughout the residence halls.  Some students rushed into the streets, shouting “Fly the W!” all the way through the typically dead-silent Harper library.

Even though we’re on the South Side, we love to see the Cubbies making our city proud and maybe it’s the beginning of UChicago students actually taking an interest in sport.

University of Chicago