Free Tuition protest downtown leads to arrest of two UChicago students

Police detained protestors on Michigan Ave for blocking traffic

Two UChicago students were arrested for obstructing traffic as part of a free college tuition demonstration at approximately 5 p.m. on Monday, October 24th.

Fourth-year Johnathan Guy and third year Jessica Law were two of the total eight protestors arrested.

Fair Economy Illinois (FEI) organized the protest, directed at hedge fund manager Kenneth Griffin and Governor Bruce Rauner.

Griffin, founder and CEO of the investment firm Citadel, has an estimated net worth of $7.5 billion and is a major donor for the Republican Governor Rauner.  Protestors donned caps and gowns and chained themselves together during the protest, urging Griffin and Rauner to support free tuition at public colleges and universities.

Three UChicago students were arrested last year during a similar protest in which they blocked the entrance to the Citadel building downtown.

The protests are part of FEI’s ongoing effort to promote their People and Planet First Budget, which includes free college tuition, Illinois public school improvements, a progressive tax, environmental sustainability initiatives and universal healthcare.

University of Chicago