Student hit with rock in ‘hate crime’ attack

‘She was followed by three unknown male subjects who called out to her’

A student was followed by three men and struck with a rock in a possible hate crime on campus.

Police are investigating a report of aggravated assault that took place near the Quarry Amphitheater after a female student was followed by three men and attacked.

A UCSC Police alert said: “As the student continued walking past the amphitheater toward Colleges Nine and Ten, one of the males stuck her on the head using a rock. She was able to flee the area and get help. She was treated by the Santa Cruz Fire Department for minor injuries.”

They are investigating the incident as a possible hate crime because of the actual or perceived gender and sexuality of the student, according to a university spokesperson.

Descriptions of the suspects have been released:

Suspect No. 1 was described as a male in his early 20s, unshaven, wearing unknown colored sweatpants, and a dark baseball cap.

Suspect No. 2 was described as a male in his early 20s, wearing a light colored sweatshirt.

Suspect No. 3 was described as a male in his early 20s.

Anyone with information regarding this crime is encouraged to call the UC Santa Cruz Police Department at 831–459–2231, ext. 1.

UC Santa Cruz