Strawberries served at UC Irvine dining hall were contaminated with ‘potential Hepatitis A’

Frozen strawberries served in the Anteatery may have had Hepatitis A

This is a PSA if you ate the frozen strawberries in the Anteatery this week – you should get checked for Hepatitis A.

The university just sent out a campus-wide email to warn us frozen strawberries were recalled due to possible contamination with Hepatitis A.

Any students who ate the strawberries or added them on their ice cream in Mesa Hall should immediately seek a doctor at the Student Health Center.

The email explained: “Hepatitis A is a contagious virus that can cause inflammation of the liver. Signs and symptoms of infection may include jaundice (yellow eyes or skin), abdominal pain, dark urine, pale (light-colored) stool, extreme tiredness, loss of appetite, fever, nausea or vomiting. If you have any of these symptoms, contact a healthcare provider immediately.

“A vaccine for Hepatitis A is available. It is routinely given to California children, so many of you may be immune to the virus. However, those who are not immune should be treated within two weeks of exposure.”

It added: “If you believe you have been exposed to this virus and your healthcare provider is not available, please contact Student Health Services at 877-351-3457 (graduate students) or 800-977-0027 (undergraduate students) as soon as possible. You can reach us at any time by following the after-hours advice line prompts. You may also contact Orange County Public Health Epidemiology at 714-834-8180 for assistance and information.”

Looks like freshman fifteen isn’t the only thing to worry about this year.

UC Irvine