Milo defies petition to come back to UCI

But this time, there was just one protestor

Despite the petition to ban Milo from coming to campus, Milo once again was back with his “Dangerous Faggot Tour” at UCI. His main purpose was, to as the UCI college republicans stated on their Facebook page, “rally for Donald Trump, a Rally for America.”

With an expected 2,000 wait listed people to join the event, UCI College Republicans were preparing for the event as early as 10 am.

trump_healine_pic1

The police had taken their places patrolling the area. There was talk among some UCI Republicans about the protestors that might come up.

They recounted the previous Milo Event “Social Justice is Cancer”. One said: “It was crazy, there was around 200 protestors before, during and after the event.”

Today, there was only rain and eager people ready to see Milo. A single heckler stood on the other side of the green barricade he had only one point to reiterate : “Fuck Donald Trump.”

Lone protester in the entire event.

Perhaps the students adhered to the safe space training that the LGBT community at UCI offers and that UCI had previously urged its students to attend after previous events. However, some speculations circulated through the attendees, “UCI’s attempting to divert the attention of the event.”

The rain intensified as attendees waited anxiously to see Milo. Some argued Hillary was to blame, while others thanked Trump for the weather.

One in particular excited to see Milo, was Melissa, who donned a police outfit with fishnets. When asked for thoughts on this event she said, ” Oh my goodness! It’s wonderful, Milo coming to UCI is like an adrenaline shot to education.”

Melissa in police outfit with a Pepe Donald Trump

Freedom of speech is often the topic of debate for those who support Milo and those that are repulsed. While there where no protestors during the event, some opposition was shown taking posters down days before.

Milo is known for his offensive language and isn’t afraid to make touchy statements of certain groups of people. In this vein a costume contest was held by the UCI republicans with Milo being the main judge. Costumes were donned all adhering to the contest that was held during the event. They ranged from Geishas to Mexican sombreros and ponchos, ‘Pablo Escobar’ even made an appearance. All attempting to be as culturally appropriating as possible.

One in particular, Haile Nieves, stated that “the US is a melting pot not a salad. No group of people can make an exclusive claim on culture.” She was accompanied by Emma Bock who wore a geisha outfit while Beverly Tandjung wore a military style Make America Great Again hat.

Once the event got started, Milo came out in his own culturally appropriating burka and endorsed Donald Trump. Topics such as “illegal aliens” and Bernie supporters were discussed. In regards to Muslims he believes they will only bring “lamb chops, yoghurt and gang-rape.”

Milo was here, discussing topics some might consider hate speech while others proclaim he is using his freedom of speech. However, it is difficult to navigate between those lines and determine if Milo is being satirical to make a point. If there is anything to commend its the fact that the UCI republicans were able to carry out this event in a peaceful manner.

UC Irvine