BREAKING: Everything happening at the #FireKatehi walkout

‘No justice, no peace, Fire Katehi’

#FireKatehi protestors took over the MU this morning as part of a walk out to demand the resignation of Chancellor Linda Katehi.

April 1st, 2016. Time, 11:30 AM. The place, the Memorial Union flagpole.

A crowd of students begins to gather. They have walked out of their classes in anger over Chancellor Linda Katehi’s actions in the recent months.

They are carrying megaphones and posters with the slogans, “Katehi should be fired because…” and “People over profits.” They are chanting, “No justice, no peace, Fire Katehi!” at the top of their lungs. The air is charged with the electricity of student activism.

11:35

More students begin to arrive, and the call and response chant of, “Whose university? Our university!” begins to take over.

11:40

The crowd continues to grow as more and more students walk out of their classes to join the protest.

Protestor Sarina Dayal said: “We demand that Chancellor Katehi is fired and that the hiring process is redesigned so that UCD students and workers are not only a part of the process but a major deciding body in this election and confirmation of a new chancellor.”

Sheets with lyrics to songs written by protestors are handed around, and voices join the swell. Students are angry, there is no doubt.

There’s also rumblings throughout the protestors that Katehi may be responsible for Islamaphobia and Anti-black/Minority sentiments.

When enough students are gathered, the crowd begins to move towards Mrak Hall, where the Chancellor is waiting.

11:40

The crowd marches through the quad, still shouting and singing their songs, making their way to Mrak Hall.

11:45

The protest reaches Shield’s Library, where several tours are happening. Prospective students and parents take photos.

11:55

The protest reaches its final destination, Mrak Hall. People are still flocking to join.

FOX 40 news is present and thousands of photos are being taken by everyone present.

12:00

Kyla Burke, grad student begins to speak. “No protest has made it to the fifth floor [before us]. We want to democratize our university. After hours of debate we knew we had to stay.”

“I’m so proud of everything we have accomplished. But I’m not going to pretend it hasn’t been exhausting. We’ve spent 21 days waiting for our chancellor to take responsibility. The administration tried to paint us the bully. All they care about is bad press.”

People working in Mrak poke their heads out of windows to watch.

12:05

A new speaker, Bernadette Fox, a first generation high school and college student, takes the makeshift podium.

“For those who remain on the fence… I’ll attempt to express her track record… 2009 Katehi was appointed… she made $400,000 annually… Now she makes $414,000… Also announced tuition heights later that year. 51 students occupied and were arrested… Almost all charges were dropped.”

“If she wants to represent us, why is she ignoring the fact she is being called to resign by students and faculty all across campus?”

12:10 

Trisha, first year PhD student takes the stage.

“Katehi prides herself as being a woman in STEM, well I am a woman in STEM and I am calling her out. We need to ensure our new Chancellor is picked by students and workers.”

12:15

A new speaker, Natalia from the Department of Chicana Studies.

“I’m here to convey that you have my, and other faculty support, for the commitment you have demonstrated.”

12:18

Miley Hampton who proudly identifies as Muslim takes the stage.

“I will not continue to sit and watch the tax dollars I pay to not go to the students, but the [corrupt chancellor]. The bigger issue isn’t the chancellor, but the institution as a whole. I’ve been here since day one calling for her resignation.”

12:20

Sarah Fordice, 4th year transgender English student and founder of “Trans Visibility” on Facebook begins to speak.

“We face threats every day, getting beaten, harassed, even mutilated because of who we are.”

12:25

The crowd continues to grow. Statements like, “Katehi prioritized money over students’ safety” are heard.

12:43

“Don’t let her win.” – Sean Raycraft

12:45

We found a list of all the speakers that will be making statements at the protest.

12:50

“I’m pissed off, you’re pissed off, let’s make sure this ends here.” – Ben Cain

12:52

Student Thongxy takes the podium for a spoken word piece about the movement.

“I dig deep just to hide my pride.” Thongxy’s performance is powerful and the crowd is cheering.

12:57

The final speaker takes the stage and a hush falls over the crowd. “We have one final message. We know how much you fear unpredictability.”

1:00

The protest enters Mrak Hall and marches up to the fifth floor.

1:05

The stairs leading up to the fifth floor are packed, a major traffic jam. One protestor shouts, “There’s too many of us!” We’re able to make it up to the fifth floor though with a little bit of effort.

1:09

There are notes of encouragement and support plastered on doors and walls.

1:10

An activist shouts, “Admin can call the cops at any moment! Please determine if you are willing to take that risk.”

1:15

Activists are sitting in on the fifth floor by the elevators.

1:17

Word comes that Katehi is at the Welcome Center on the Mondavi side. The protest begins to move once again.

1:20

Watch this video to get a better understanding of what’s going on: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPctSzo2ACo

1:30

Protestors enter the Welcome Center and eject a tour group from the auditorium.

1:32

The protestors are asked to leave the Welcome Center and screaming matches erupt between activists and employees.

1:34

The protestors begin to gather in the parking lot by the Alumni Center.

1:36

The protest heads back to Mrak Hall.

1:38

The protest arrives back at Mrak Hall and students are divided into groups to go to the third, fourth and fifth floors. There is food and water waiting.

1:45

The protestors start to settle down and it looks like it’ll be another sit-in at Mrak Hall.

Tensions between protestors are high and verbal jabs are traded back and forth.

1:48

Heading back down the stairs, we can see that some people have taken pens and markers to the walls of Mrak Hall.

1:50

People are continuing to deface the building, now adding messages in Spanish.

1:53

It’s been a wild few hours, and as we exit the building, it seems that the sit-in will continue as long as Katehi refuses to make an appearance. Those interested in joining the protest can go to the fifth floor of Mrak Hall.

UC Davis