We sat down with a founder of Hooked, the best app to hit Berkeley campus

If you like free food, you’ll like Hooked

You might have seen little fliers laying around campus for a new app called Hooked. The app provides awesome deals for food and drink around campus for hungry college students. Over 20% of the student body at Berkeley has signed up on Hooked in just the first 6 weeks!

These deals are ranked by distance from you and the remaining time the bargains are available.

We sat down with with Brett Berman, the co-founder of Hooked, and talked about his revolutionary app.

So, where did the idea for Hooked come from?

My best friend and I started the company while we were still in school. Hooked began when we graduated. We talked about the idea continually. But ultimately, what we wanted was a way for businesses to get some discoverability and students to save money. Therefore, restaurants could connect with students through a sustainable marketing platform. So Hooked is a win-win relationship between restaurants and students.

How did the company’s process get started?

Hooked originally launched 3 years ago at the University of Texas in Houston. From there, we’ve expanded to 4 more schools in the Midwest, and it went from 5 to 25 campuses in the United States.

Berkeley is our first California school, so we’re very excited about that.

Hooked users waiting for their $1 pizza slices at Blondie’s Pizza

So, how was the process of bringing Hooked to Berkeley?

It went from zero to a hundred. We had a great team who worked hard throughout the summer getting businesses on board. It is all about building those personal relationships with businesses, and forming a cooperation.

How has Hooked performed at Berkeley?

It’s only been a few weeks and already thousands have signed up. So many people are using the app. For example, at Gordo’s free burrito event there was a line that wrapped around the block. Students have really been able to find out what businesses are in their area, and what this city has to offer for good, inexpensive food and drink. College is so social, eating is so social, and so everyone tells each other about these great opportunities.

Line wraps around the block

What is your mission for Hooked?

Ultimately we want to expose students to quality offers and to spots that are going to make a difference by introducing students to these restaurants. The biggest thing for us is when you’re hungry, you check the app. It doesn’t matter if you’re looking for a coffee and a place to study, or trying to lunch.

Just check the app and you will definitely find something for you.

What can we expect in the future from Hooked?

We are continuing to add new restaurants and focus on food and drink. But you may see opportunities outside of food and drink that’ll be there for you when you’re feeling bored.

My $0.99 coffee from The Musical Offering Cafe on Bancroft!

Some amazing deals to look out for this week

• Buy one get one free milk or fruit tea at 723 Tea Station
  • 20% off gelato at Almare Gelato
  • 50% off one menu item at Ben & Jerry’s
  • Hooked Night on TUESDAYS at Blondie’s: $1 pizza slices, $2 savory crepes, and $1 sweet crepes
  • Late Night Study Hour at Cafe Med: BOGO smoothies, milkshakes, and espresso drinks
  • Buy any sandwich or and get second free at Cafe Med
  • BOGO tacos, quesadillas and burrito’s at Gordo’s Telegraph
  • BOGO sandwich, salad or international flabors item at the International House Cafe

Don’t miss out on their marketing events that happen 1-2 times per week for free, or close to free food items. Check out their Hooked Deals Berkeley Facebook page for more details on all of their event information.

UC Berkeley