All the best bars in Davis Square

The Pub, obviously

One of the boons of Tufts University is being a stones throw away from Davis Square. There is always somewhere to go for dinner, to get drinks, to have a good night or just to try a new place.

Davis Square is packed with amazing restaurants, pubs, bars, brunch places and burger joints. This list focuses on the pubs and bars of Davis Square and the greater Tufts area. So, without further ado, here’s the best from The Tab.

The Pub

Was there ever any doubt? Adorned with Tufts football and basketball memorabilia, filled with students on Tuesday and Thursday nights, rocked by talented DJs and located very close to campus, The Pub is your quintessential college bar. “Pub nights” never fail to disappoint and the bartenders always keep the moderately priced drinks coming. But we’ve never heard of anyone actually getting food here…

The Burren

Burren Thursdays are still a Tufts staple and that fact alone nabs this pub a high spot on our list. When it isn’t a Thursday, however, the crowd is a bit older and local. The live band is definitely a draw to The Burren, as is the general authentic Irish ambience. With a large area to dance, killer food and a nice selection of drinks, The Burren should continue to attract Tufts students for years to come.

Five Horses Tavern

The wine list is extensive and Five Horses Tavern boasts a varied offering of different beers, from craft to local to international, as well. The ambience is unmatched, though it is a bit more upscale and fancier than the first two options. The food, while a little on the pricy side, is phenomenal. Five Horses Tavern also has some of the best food in Davis Square.

Sligo

Sligo is, quite simply, the perfect dive bar. If you want to find a place to watch the game or drink a couple of beers with the boys, this is the place for you. If you want to dance or go on a date, you are better served going somewhere else. Sligo is relaxed and unique; it is a well-needed break from the hustle and bustle of Tufts and Davis Square. You won’t find many outlandish or fancy drinks here, but the beer is cheap and the bartenders friendly.

Saloon

If you are able to find the Saloon, you deserve the wonderful amenities it boasts. A hidden speak-easy with a cozy, modern atmosphere, Saloon is one of the gems of Davis Square. Though it is on the pricier side, the food is usually on point and the drink selection is varied and fancier. With a definite hipster vibe, the Saloon is unique and unlike anything else in Davis.

Honorable Mentions mentions go to Foundry, Spoke, Joshua Tree, Orleans, PJ Ryans.

Tufts University