Meet Hrothgar, the Great Pyrenees puppy melting hearts on campus

Dogs are the best way to de-stress from exams

On Tuesday, May 3rd, English professor Scott Mackenzie brought his 120 pound Great Pyrenees puppy with him to his office hours. And nothing was ever the same.

Meet Hrothgar, a two-year-old giant puppy. Or as my friend Leslie Patterson lovingly addressed him, “the polar bear.”

His feet are larger than theĀ average women’s foot of size seven. (Don’t ask about the small puddle in the picture. We don’t know what it is either.) He has two extra toes, which is apparently characteristic of the breed.

Leslie and I were tasked with babysitting this ginormous dog while Professor Mackenzie was meeting with a student on their final paper. Hrothgar, however, is obsessed with his owner. Like more obsessed with him than I am with this dog (which is a lot). Let me tell you how hard it is to keep a 120 pound dog away from his master.

Once I finally coaxed him back out of the tiny office, I couldn’t help but stare in awe of the size of his head, which was also bigger than me.

I gave him lots of hugs.

Lots. Look how fluffy he is. Look how huggable he is. And if you’re wondering, yes, his hair is long enough to braid (Leslie tried and succeeded).

I never thought I’d be grateful for an English professor who has assigned me a 10-page research paper in addition to an exam the next day. But I immediately forgave him when I met Hrothgar, because no man who owns this ball of fur can be evil.

Professor Mackenzie said he tries to bring his pup onto campus every once in a while for the students to de-stress. Plus, he realizes most students never get to see dogs anymore -and most students have never seen a dog like this before. I came in hoping to get my paper edited, but came out with a new furry best friend.

University of Tennessee