Meet the Society of Minorities in Sport, the new student organization promoting diversity and inclusiveness in sports

The organization brings students together monthly to network, discuss and gain a better insight about the sports industry

At Temple University, we have over 300 registered student organizations with interests as diverse as our student population of 38, 297. One of the great benefits of being a Temple Owl is having the option to join a student organization that helps us grow as individuals and broaden our horizons.

The Society of Minorities in Sport in the School of Sport, Tourism and Hospitality Management is one of the newly established student organizations on campus with a mission to do just that.

We spoke to Joshua Dicker, the President of The Society of Minorities in Sport about the mission of the organization and what Temple students should know about them. 

The Tab Temple is also participating in a discussion panel with this student organization along with Temple Association of Black Journalists on Thursday March 23 at 5pm at the Student Center Room 220.

Joshua Dicker, the President of The Society of Minorities in Sport

How did this student organization form?

There was a need for a new Student Professional Organization within the School of Sport, Tourism and Hospitality Management. A group of students saw the need for diversity within the school and felt there was a need to change the industry.

How would you summarize the mission of your student organization?

Our mission is to engages all students with an interest in tourism, sport, hospitality, recreation, and other leisure industries. The Society of Minorities in Sport brings a group of college professionals together monthly to network, discuss and gain a better insight about the Industry. We welcome all majors and all backgrounds to join us this spring at are upcoming events.

Why should the discussion of minorities in sports begin, in your opinion?

It’s a very important discussion because minorities play such a large part. Many of the top US sports like football and basketball have huge minority participation in the professional leagues. Not only do minorities play a large part in sport participation but there is also a push to get more minorities in higher positions than simply being on the field. It is important to foster these conversations in order to make people aware as well as offer better opportunities in the sport industry for minorities.

What’s your advice to students who want to create their own student organization?

Student looking to start their own organization must follow through with these 4 core values:

1) Conversation

The element of conversation refers to a common idea and thought shared amongst camps.

2) Commitment

Not only must you find a team of committed students but you must be committed to starting the organization on Temple’s campus.

3) Collaboration

Having to think of different and innovative topics that will increase awareness for your organization while also collaborating with other student organizations on campus.  

4) Creativity

Be Different.

Nikki Green, the Professional Development Coordinator of the student organization  

Why do you think students should join your organization?

Students should join our organization because we provide a non-judgemental space through promoting diversity and inclusiveness. We have a lot of great opportunities for all majors to gain a competitive advantage from.

The Media Outlet is just one of many events to come that feature established minorities in the workplace where students can gain insight on how professionals overcame adversity to make it to where they are now.

Our organization is open to everyone, even if you aren’t involved in sports. We love new faces and are open to all ideas and thoughts. Please don’t hesitate to come to a meeting and see what we are all about.

Could you explain a little bit about the event ‘Media Outlet’ you’ll be hosting and what students could expect from it?

The Society of Minorities in Sport, Temple Tab and Temple Association of Black Journalist will be hosting a discussion panel on with established professionals who are excelling in their respective careers through the use of media. Students can expect to learn how media can be used to influence a target audience in order to elicit a desired outcome. Students should expect a discussion about media and the direct relationship with sport. This will be a great discussion to with our guest speakers and hear from your classmates.

Temple University