Hootathon, a twelve-hour dance marathon organized by Temple students, surpassed their goal of $400,000

Just another reason why you should be proud of being a Temple Owl

Our Temple Owls have soared to new heights once again raising $404,074.85 for the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, crushing their goal of $400,000.

Hootathon, a twelve-hour dance marathon organized by Temple students since 2012, continues to grow every year.

The dance marathon had the ambitious goal of $400,000, which is nearly double the previous goals. In 2015, Hootathon had the goal of $215,000 and look where they are now.

From 12 pm to 12 am, students danced tirelessly in the Liacouras Center. This day is filled with heartbreaking yet miraculous stories from Miracle Families who have or are currently benefiting from the Child Life Department at CHOP, where all proceeds from Hootathon will be donated.

After hearing the stories and struggles from courageous kids who are fighting for their lives every day—the sore feet and bad dancing was worth it.

Hootathon also offers students the opportunity to donate their hair to Children with Hair Loss, a non-profit organization that provides wigs for children with any type of medically related hair loss.

Nearly 20 of Temple’s bravest Owls including myself stood on stage while we were handed the pony tails of our luscious locks to hold proudly in front of everyone for the non-profit.

The initial shock of having almost ten inches of my hair cut quickly faded after receiving the biggest hug from one of the miracle kids.

Donating your hair in the spur of the moment calls for a roller coaster of emotions but we all did it for one reason and that’s for the kids.

I hate to say it, but we finally have something in common with Penn State.

All the hard work we have done along with the endless hours of dancing and sore bodies was all worth it by the end of this year’s Hootathon.

We are all #FTK.

Temple University