What it’s like working for Temple’s student run organic café, The Rad Dish Co-Op Café

It’s just that, it’s rad

One year ago, I proudly joined the Rad Dish community—a family like no other at Temple University.

If you didn’t know, The Rad Dish Co-Op Café was formed by a group of students who were looking to provide an option for conscious consumption on Temple’s campus.

We’re the place that serves ethical, local, organic, and sustainable food options through the venue of a welcoming co-op café.

When I first discovered Rad Dish, I had no idea how co-ops worked, or the value of eating organic, locally sourced food. But as time went on, it became more than just a group of students running a café at Temple University.

The Rad Dish became the place that brought me so much laughter, and some of my closest friends.

This co-op became my family when I first joined the staff as a cashier. On my first day I had absolutely no idea what to expect, or what I was doing at all. But I quickly learned to go with the flow and to make the most of our often restless, and somewhat dysfunctional workdays.

Just last semester for about a month, we didn’t have an important part to our coffee grinder and it resulted in the innovative use of other kitchen utensils and scissors to do the job. Despite my initial hesitation, I’ve grown to love the casual, yet lively, atmosphere. Where else will you find a place like ours?

As the semester went on, customers began to remember my face and genuinely ask about both the Rad Dish, and my life. I always find myself stopping all over campus to chat with regulars from the café. Their positive feedback continues to motivate us, and has resulted in our growth as a co-op and community.

Our easygoing environment and sourcing policy have allowed me to increase my awareness on the choices I was making in my life.

Since working at the Rad Dish, I’m much more conscious of the products I buy, and appreciative of other businesses that value sustainable options. Although the changes I have made may seem small—they have strikingly changed my lifestyle.

Not only did I learn the genius idea of adding hummus to grilled cheese, but I also met amazing people through my job at Rad Dish.

During my first semester I was one of the very few new hires at the job, yet I never felt like an outsider by anyone. From the very beginning the rest of the staff and the Board of Directors made me feel confident in my abilities and I’m truly thankful for how accepting and helpful they were towards me.

Kim Le, a coworker and friend, and I on a Rad Dish field trip to Solebury Orchards.

My co-workers have become my friends, and I’m lucky to say that we are close to each other as well. I feel fortunate to be able to work at a place where I feel loved and welcomed, which is rare to say about any college café job. Not only could you find any of us laughing behind the counter at Rad Dish, but we genuinely like spending time with each other and that’s an amazing thing to say about your co-workers.

The family goes beyond the staff and the Board of Directors; it includes the equity and sweat equity member, and even the regulars. Together, we continue support and encourage each other, because the Rad Dish family is just that—it’s rad.

Temple University