Faculty from Temple and other Philadelphia schools signed a letter opposing Trump’s attorney general pick

12 of the 31 professors came from Temple University

It was reported 31 law school faculty members from Drexel, Temple, UPenn, and Villanova signed a letter protesting Donald Trump’s nomination of Jeff Sessions as his attorney general, according to Metro.

Out of the 31 signers from Philadelphia, 12 are from Temple’s Beasley School of Law, 11 are from Drexel’s Kline School of Law, 7 from Penn, and 1 from Villanova.

These professors joined over 1,200 faculty members who signed the letter urging the Senate Committee on the Judiciary to reject Trump’s nomination, Metro reports.

“We are 1330 faculty members from 178 different law schools in 49 states across the country. We urge you to reject the nomination of Senator Jeff Sessions for the position of Attorney General of the United States,” the letter reads.

The signers are concerned with Sessions’ “support for building a wall along our country’s southern border,” as well as “his repeated opposition to legislative efforts to promote the rights of women and members of the LGBTQ community,” among many other concerns.

The letter continues, “As law faculty who work every day to better understand the law and teach it to our students, we are convinced that Jeff Sessions will not fairly enforce our nation’s laws and promote justice and equality in the United States.”

After leaving his position as U.S. attorney, Sessions became Alabama attorney general which he held for two years. He was then elected as a U.S. senator in 1997, and held the position since then.

Less then a month after Trump announced Sessions’ likely nomination, a GoFundMe campaign was created by law professors around the nation.  “We need to raise funds to take out ads in the hometown newspapers of specific senators who are undecided about their vote regarding Sessions’ nomination,” the campaign’s statement reads.

Within just a few weeks, the campaign has surpassed its $16,000 goal.

@michmendezmedia

Temple University