How I’m making 2017 my year

There’s a lot I want to accomplish this year and I know I will make it happen.

It feels like yesterday when I was out with friends waiting for 2016 to come. Next thing I knew the year flew by and now 2017 is here.

Looking back, I set goals for myself but I wound up going with the flow. Some good came out of that but there were also opportunities I missed out on.

This year I told myself that I would take charge and push myself with the goals I have in mind.

For the year 2017, I promise to:

Love myself more

I wasted too much energy on stupid crap or on people who drained me. The negativity really got to me at times and at the end of the day—it wasn’t worth it.

I wrote down a list of things that make me feel good and whenever I’m feeling shitty, I’ll look back on that list and remind myself of my worth.

One of them included the time my amazing friend and photographer, Sydney Ferrera, took fabulous shots of me at the Montgomery parking garage.

Get stronger

With a new year comes new challenges, new heartbreak, losing some friends, difficult decisions, and even some sacrifices.

It’s expected that during my journey I’ll hit a few bumps in the road but I need to learn how to handle crappy situations better and to not let them get to me as much.

Travel more

Since college, my wanderlust has grown and I need to get out and see more of the world. So far I’ve only been to a couple states in the US and been to one other country.

I’ve already been asking my friends about making trips to Europe and exploring other countries.

unnamed-7

Write down my memories

They say you should write down your memories to remember the beauty of the moments and that’s what I plan to do in 2017.

I noticed a lot of people doing the ‘365 day jar’ so I decided to go through with it too. It’ll be cute to re-read all my memories at the end of the year and see how far I’ve came.

Continue to experience more with my friends

I’ve met so many incredible people throughout college and sadly―I’ve met some real pieces of shit. Thankfully, I’ve gotten better at realizing who my true friends are and with them, I just want to continue making more unforgettable moments.

unnamed-6

If there’s one thing I learned in life, is that it’s too fucking short to get consumed by toxic people or difficult situations. Things do get better overtime but I often forget that because I would let insignificant bullshit get to me.

With 365 new days to come, there’s so much for people to discover and gain. The year 2017 won’t be perfect, but it’ll benefit me a lot more if I stick to these goals and continue to tell myself that I can do it.

Even if I start off by just writing things down on what I want, it’s still a step toward change.

Temple University