I am a Mexican-American and the first person in my family to vote

With the election right around the corner, it’s important to acknowledge that voting is a privilege we are lucky to have

I am a nineteen-year-old Mexican-American student whose parents were born in Mexico.

My parents immigrated to the United States over 20 years ago and because they are not citizens, they are not eligible to vote. However, this does not stop them from keeping up with the 2016 election, especially my father.

He has watched all of the debates and the overall media coverage of the election, on both English and Spanish-speaking channels on TV.

When I think about people who are eligible to vote but decide not to, it makes me think of my father who wishes he could be in their place.

The problem with people not voting is the fact they’re ignorant to the opportunities they have compared to others. 

From the moment they’re born in the United States, they already have more privileges than either of my parents.

Since they lived with these freedoms all of their lives, they can’t truly appreciate them. It’s as if they are living in a bubble and are ignorant to what or who lies outside of it. Immigrants like my parents have no choice but to watch the election unfold from the outside- knowing that the outcome will still affect them.

To others, graduating high school, going to college, and voting is considered “normal.” To my family, it’s the opposite. Both my mother and father had to drop out of school before they could even attend high school in order to support their families in Mexico.

Growing up, I was fully aware of the opportunity that I had in being able to obtain an education. When I turned 18, I did not waste time in registering to vote.

When I went to vote during the primaries, I expected there to be a line at the voting location, but there wasn’t. It didn’t take me more than five minutes to vote because there was barely anyone there. I realized more people would probably show up for just the general election, another way many people are ignoring their privileges.

Because I am registered to vote in New Jersey but attend Temple University in Philadelphia, I knew I would not be able to make it to the polls on election day in person. That’s why I looked into completing an absentee ballot. The process was simple and now I can proudly say I am the first person in my family to vote!

I encourage people to take the time and vote, whether that be in person or by mail through the absentee ballot.

Our single vote may seem insignificant to us, but collectively, our votes will shape the future of this country. That is why it’s important to understand voting is more than a right or a privilege, but a social responsibility. We need to make our collective voice heard, because many people, like my parents, don’t have that same freedom.

Temple University