J&H doesn’t suck if you get a little creative

The first installment in our series of step-by-step guides for turning lackluster dining hall food into something worth craving

As far as food goes, Temple has tons of options, and the majority of the time they get the job done. But, honesty hour – a bagel sandwich from Einstein’s and a rice bowl from Morgan’s food court get real old real fast.

So what’s a gal to do when she wants some diversity in her diet? Well, wonder no more. Your homegirls Emily and Alyssa are here to help. All it takes is a meal swipe and a little creativity in good ole’ J&H to make your dreams come true.

We’re putting a name to our service: Shifty and Thrifty: a Temple student’s guide to hacking your way through on-campus food. Our motto: Lookin’ shifty, livin’ thrifty. Our first mission: the chocolate chip waffle.

It may sound like simple fix, but trust us, we were riding the struggle bus one night while craving some fluffy, chocolatey goodness and discovered J&H was fresh out of chocolate chips. We were pissed, but we refused to accept defeat.

Out of the corner of our eyes, we spotted the holy grail of J&H- the ice cream freezer. What’s in the ice cream freezer? Ice cream sandwiches. What do ice cream sandwiches have? Chocolate. Bam, a glimmer of hope.

So here it is, our step-by-step guide to making chocolate chips waffles without chocolate chips. Let’s get into it.

You will need

1 waffle maker

1 cup of waffle batter

An ice cream sandwich

Maybe some berries if you’re feeling them

*All provided by J&H dining hall

Step 1

Pour the batter into the little cups provided at the waffle station. Pretty self-explanatory.

Step 2

Take an ice cream sandwich from the ice cream freezer conveniently located right next to the waffle station. Separate the cookies from the ice cream. It’s a messy situation, but you’ll get through it.

Step 3

At this point, we recommend running into the bathroom and washing your hands real quick, unless you’re into dealing with sticky ice cream hands. Also, scold J&H for not having chocolate chips. Throw some shade- it’ll make you feel better.

Step 4

Grab a knife and begin to chop up your ice cream sandwich cookies to emulate chocolate chips. It’ll probably end up looking like one big mushy cookie mess but it works, we promise.

Step 5

Spray the waffle maker (if non-stick spray is available) and pour your batter into the waffle maker.

Step 6

As fast as you can without looking overly aggressive, sprinkle your finely chopped cookie all over the waffle batter. Then, close the waffle maker and hope for the best.

Step 7

Patiently wait for your waffle to do it’s thing. This is the perfect amount of time to bond with the people watching you (this is likely to happen but it’s okay, soak in the spotlight, this is your moment).

Step 8

DING!  Your waffle is ready. Try to remain calm. We know you’re excited. Take your beautiful masterpiece out of the waffle maker and place it onto a plate.

Step 9

Remember all that ice cream you have leftover from the sandwich? Take it and push all that creamy deliciousness on top of your waffle, right in the middle. Make sure it looks good. Presentation is key. If you want, grab some berries of your choice from the yogurt bar located right next to the waffle station (this step is completely optional, but we think it offers it some extra flair).

Step 10

Sit down, relax and EAT YOUR DAMN WAFFLE. Congratulations, you deserve this.

And there you go! The first of many college hacks you’ll get from us. Stay tuned for next time!

Shifty and Thrifty OUT.

Temple University