Beloved ‘Cuse bar is not going down without a fight

Could Chucks potentially be open until the end of the semester?

Ask any Syracuse University student and they will tell you Chuck’s is their absolute favorite bar on campus. As one of the only bars off limits to students under 21 years old, Chuck’s has become the spot go-to spot for upperclassmen to grab a drink, chug a pitcher, watch basketball games, and drink a little too much without freshmen ruining their Friday night.

Just last month, plans to demolish 727 South Crouse Ave, the building that houses our beloved Chuck’s as well as Funk n’ Waffles (RIP, Gone TOO SOON) sent SU students into a frenzy, rallying to the cause in an attempt to save their favorite bar. There have been petitions posted, articles published and everything else in between to try and stop the impending construction but all to no avail.

A model of what Marshall St. will look like with the new multi-use apartment complex, picture curtesy of Don Canentre (Syracuse.com)

But, Steve Theobald, owner of Chuck’s, is not going down without a fight. This month, Theobald filed a restraining order against the building’s new landlord as a last attempt to keep the bar open until the end of the semester. This restraining order is currently halting the plans to move forward with demolition of the entire building to make way for fancy, new apartments that– let’s face it–us broke college student’s can’t afford.

There are plans to perform an asbestos abatement of the entire property, something that would cause Chuck’s to close for the entire semester thus severely hurting the bar’s end of the semester income. This restraining order is the only thing stopping the landlord from moving forward with the abatement for all other businesses, including Funk n’ Waffles have vacated the building. Both parties are expected to meet at Onondaga County Supreme Court this Tuesday to present arguments for and against moving forward with the asbestos inspection.

According to a Daily Orange article, Theobald’s main argument is that Chuck’s lease states the landlord can perform maintenance related work to the business but the asbestos abatement goes way beyond a simple repair.

Steve Theobald is extremely angered by the impending inspection because it would cause damage to the interior of the bar that would force its doors to close to the end of the year, what Theobald calls his business’ busiest time of year. Especially with Chuck’s famous end-of-the-year party on the way, Chuck’s closing will cause Theobald to lose money and ‘Cuse left to wonder where they will spend their last nights of the semester before the summer season comes.

Picture curtesy of Lauren Long (Syracuse.com)

Until Tuesday, no one can be sure what will happen to our beloved Chucks but for now, let’s hope that Chuck’s doesn’t go down without a fight.

UPDATE: The hearing mentioned above scheduled for Tuesday, March 28th has been adjourned. It has been made clear that the landlord of 727 S. Crouse Ave asked for the extension and as of yet, a new date has not be set. Chuck’s restraining order still stands and for the time being, Chucks is still open.

Syracuse University