What Trump’s new immigration order means for Syracuse students

The Vice Chancellor sent out an email to the student body about the implications of the new executive order

On 6 March President Trump signed a new executive order on immigration, placing a temporary ban on immigration from six predominantly Muslim nations in a similar fashion to the last order. This time, however, he will exclude Iraq. The new executive order comes just weeks after the initial travel ban caused further issues in an already divided nation and will go into effect on 16 March.

SU is considered above average compared to national average demographics. In fact, 10.7 percent of students on campus are undocumented immigrants and 25 percent percent of students are considered to be minorities. It is no secret that many Syracuse students come from all over the world to study here. This immigration ban could mean trouble for these students and their families as they return home for spring break and summer vacation.

This morning, Vice Chancellor and Provost Michele G. Wheatly sent an email to the campus community about the implications of the new executive order. She has stated time and again that the Department of Public Safety (DPS) does not and cannot ask students about their immigration status when completing investigations. According to the email, DPS does not assist with federal immigration investigations that involve Syracuse University students. 

She included a quote from Chancellor Kent Syverud: “This university simply cannot support or abide by any policy that discriminates against, or makes a preference for, one person over the other based on religion, national origin or other inherent characteristics.” Chancellor Syverud and other University officials have been under fire for remaining hesitant to declare SU a sanctuary campus. Though he has expressed his concern over President Trump’s policies on immigration and has identified resources for immigrant students on campus, he has failed to declare SU a sanctuary campus. On 30 January 2017, Student Association unanimously passed a bill to make SU a sanctuary campus. 

Ultimately, the newest move by the Trump administration will mean very little for immigrants, both documented and undocumented, at Syracuse University. However, these students require continued support as they face struggles when attempting to return back to school after breaks and the stress that this executive order will cause their families.

The Tab will continue to report on Syracuse University’s reaction to the new executive order.

@kaitlynmenegio

Syracuse University