Take Dj’s, but for the love of god leave Chuck’s alone

Proposed development project could mean the end of Lucy’s and Chuck’s

Credit: Don Cazentre, syracuse.com

BLVD Equities of New Jersey has proposed the development of an 8 story retail/apartment complex right near Syracuse University. It’s so close, in fact, that if approved it would take the place of beloved Syracuse businesses like Chuck’s and Funk N’ Waffles. Orange Crate Brewing Co., better known as Lucy’s, could also be demolished or changed. While nothing is set in stone as the project still needs to get approval from the city, it would undoubtedly cause an outcry from Syracuse students. Current businesses in the space would be relocated and possibly offered spots in the new retail spaces on the ground floor. Upper floors would be apartments, most likely housing upperclassmen students as Park Point and BLVD 44 do. The Syracuse Planning Commission will hold a hearing tonight open to the public about the proposal and the developer’s motion to waive the parking requirement for the space. Only time will tell if the project will progress further, but make sure you savor all the moments you have in bars that aren’t crawling with freshmen, ‘Cuse.

Syracuse University