Richard Branson calls Rutgers startup ‘brilliant’

You know you made it when a billionaire says you have a great idea

Last semester, senior Daniel Reji launched a service called SafeHalo with his team to provide Rutgers students with a judgment and stigma-free way to feel safe when walking home alone. The basic idea is: you text a number, and within 15 minutes depending on where you are, two volunteers will show up to take you home. Reji was motivated to create a free service in an effort to reduce sexual assault and violence across college campuses.

Photo by Tim Davis

Following its launch, Reji was invited to the Forbes Under 30 Summit in Boston where he and a few of his friends were able to speak with billionaire and business magnate Richard Branson during a private lunch. After Reji pitched SafeHalo, Branson called the idea “brilliant,” and said it was a “great idea.”

Reji describes Branson’s comments as “the ultimate validation” and feels that the whole experience has been surreal.

“For a visionary that’s known for seeing trends before they happen to see potential in SafeHalo is humbling and exciting,” he said.

Reji and his team piloted the service during the Fall 2016 semester, and are establishing the service at Emerson University and the University of Oregon. The team also plans to launch SafeHalo at multiple other universities across the country.

This semester, SafeHalo is now offered Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. on College Avenue.

Photo by Tim Davis

You can add SafeHalo to your contacts by filling out a quick form on their website.  You can use SafeHalo by texting the SafeHalo number at your school. If you’d like to get involved as a Halo, have any questions, comments or concerns, feel free to email Daniel or Jamie at: [email protected] and [email protected]. Keep up with them on social media @wearesafehalo. 

Rutgers University