How much does it really cost to skip a class at Rutgers?

Hint: It isn’t enough to cover a hoodie from Barnes & Noble

You know the absolute pain of talking about money, paying off the semester and not wanting to imagine all the post-graduation horrors of paying off loans. It doesn’t help our tuition has been on the rise each year.

We don’t take skipping classes into consideration because who wants to think we’re wasting money if we went a little hard last night, studied for Orgo until 6 a.m., the lecturer is boring, or a new season of your favorite show is out on Netflix? Let’s find out the cost of missing that lecture.

83% of Rutgers students are New Jersey residents, so we’ll consider the cost of in-state students.

The yearly cost of in-state students is $26,632. Room and board and fees come out to $15,224 leaving tuition to be $11,408. The cost of each semester is $5,704.

Let’s imagine the average student is taking 15 credits. This means each class is roughly $1,141. Class meets about 14 weeks considering the breaks. Each class meets on average twice a week, leaving each class to cost about $41.

So every time you decide to catch up on a show on Netflix for that hour and a half you’re not in class, you’re wasting $41, which could go to:

6 Fat Darrells 

Rutgers Fat Sandwich RU Hungry

1 round trip to NYC via rail

New Brunswick train station NJ transit Rutgers University

2 Rutgers crewnecks at Scarlet Fever

Scarlet Fever Rutgers University

2 fishbowls at Stuff Yer Face

11 grande lattes at Starbucks

1/2 a parking ticket 

2 student ID replacements

15 hand-crafted tacos at Tacoria

Tacoria Tacos Rutgers New Brunswick

8 cheese crisps at Hansel N’ Griddle 

hansel n' griddle

4 Nutella bowls at Playa Bowls

Nutella bowl Playa Bowls Rutgers University

Next time you skip a class to dage, nap, or watch Netflix, just remember your education is important. Don’t let your parents’ money go down the drain for your laziness. Just go to class.

Rutgers University