RIT set to become leader in digital media with MAGIC Spell Studios

This will revolutionize multidisciplinary creation

Last week, Rochester Institute of Technology unveiled it’s plan for a new facility to house MAGIC Spell Studios, a program for film and animation, game design and digital media.

The facility is expected to be at the forefront of its industry. “MAGIC Spell Studios is about being fluid and truly multidisciplinary; and it is revolutionary,” said Director Andrew Phelps.

The high-tech facility, set to open fall 2018, will contain a professional sound stage, a theater with a projection booth, a high quality audiovisual system, sound mixing and color correction rooms, multiple labs and production facilities. It will also act as a “digital gaming hub, and an innovation zone that mixes faculty, staff, students, technology and infrastructure across programs from the School of Film and Animation, the School of Interactive Games and Media, and the RIT Center for Media, Arts, Games, Interaction and Creativity,” according to RIT University News.

“Educating students on how to design for new technologies like augmented reality is so important to keep RIT at the forefront of the tech world. And the interdisciplinary approach is huge to all design majors, combining our talents to create the best products,” said 21-year-old new media design student, Julianne Burke.

MAGIC Spell Studios was launched in 2013, creating digital media such as games, apps, films, art installations and other interactive experiences. The new facility will include space for internal start-ups and external partners. MAGIC Spell Studios is expected to create up to 100 jobs in the next ten years.

“Having this new building be the hub of games development in addition to film is a huge asset to those who want to work on projects they’re passionate about from concept to completion. It’ll help students who want to gain real world experience while still remaining under the guidance of RIT faculty and staff become more viable in their industry,” said 20-year-old game design student, Noah Kellem.

With the work of Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Lt. Gov. Kathy Hochul, the project received $13.5 million from New York state. It also received $3 million from Dell, $12.4 million from Cisco Systems Inc., and $1.5 million from The Wegman Family Charitable Foundation.

Rochester Institute of Technology