Former Nike garment factory worker speaks out at Purdue

Noi Supalai joins United Students Against Sweatshops in the fight against Nike

Nike is one of the largest active wear apparel brands with a powerful influence reaching consumers all over the world. The sneakers you wear on your feet and the apparel you work-out in are made by garment factory workers in other countries such as Thailand, Vietnam, Honduras, and many more. In fact, Nike outsources the production of its apparel from over 680 factories around the globe.

Outsourcing has become a common practice among large apparel companies because the cost of labor is cheaper, putting more money into business’ pockets. At the cost of such cheap labor come many concerns involving the treatment of garment factory workers and the conditions in which they work. Outside contractors abroad offer competitively low prices to large apparel companies to execute the manufacture of these products. So, brands like Nike can have their products made at a low price while turning a blind eye from the harsh conditions that garment workers are forced to work in.

Rana Plaza is a well-known example of how dangerous working conditions can have a devastating effect on garment factory workers. The Rana Plaza disaster claimed the lives of over 1,100 innocent workers in one day. Many factories are built at too great of heights and sometimes thousands of workers are forced into these buildings. The foundations of these buildings are not built to support such weight, which often leads to collapses. Garment factories often have faulty electricity, which leads to fires. Workers are often forced into the factories to work, sometimes even beaten so they go in, and then locked in so they stay. These workers are being locked into deathtraps and forced to produce goods for apparel companies.
Former Nike garment factory worker Noi Supalai from Bangkok, Thailand recently visited Purdue’s chapter for United Students Against Sweatshops. She shared her experience of working in a garment factory that produced for Nike. Prior to 2008 Noi and fellow workers earned fair wages, but once the economy started to suffer large companies began to cut back their orders leading to lower profits for the factory.

At this time Nike offered business to the factory, but only if products were produced within a structured time frame and at a low cost. In fear of losing business with a powerful brand like Nike, those in charge of the factory accepted. Because of this deal, Noi and the rest of the workers were forced to meet unrealistic quotas set by Nike. In order to meet these quotas, workers often worked from 8am until Midnight or later. At one point, workers had to take turns leaving to shower and eat because they had such large quotas. Still not meeting the quota, Nike threatened the garment factory with a large fine if their demands were not met within a short time period. Nike refused to pay the factory until they received their products, which left the factory no money to pay the workers.

Tired of the long hours and no pay for almost two months, Noi and other workers decided to speak up and lead a group of representatives to demand better treatment. Noi turned to a local labor protection agency and even Nike itself for help, but neither was able to help the workers. Noi then reached out to the Workers Rights Consortium, which protects garment workers and inspects garment factories. The WRC helped reach a deal between the factory managers and the workers to improve the conditions the workers were working in and increase the wages.

Noi came to help garner support for USAS’ movement to get Purdue to put pressure on Nike to become accountable for the conditions of the garment factories they contract with. In recent months, Nike has refused to allow the WRC to monitor these factories. In fact Purdue is affiliated with the WRC, along with over 180 other schools. Meaning that it is in Purdue’s Code of Conduct that any brand Purdue has contracts with must allow the WRC to monitor garment factories where the products are being made. Meaning Purdue is breaking its Code of Conduct by continuing to work with Nike under these conditions. Noi wanted to share that the through the work of the WRC, the lives of many garment factory workers has improved.

It is up to us as students at the universities that contract with large apparel brands, such as Nike, to support the workers in their fight for justice. One way we can do this is demand that our schools put pressure on these companies to ensure that the WRC is allowed to monitor garment factories. Join the United Students Against Sweatshops by contacting administration and urging them to hold Nike responsible.

Just do it.

Purdue University