Princeton students organize rally on Day Without Immigrants

‘Say it loud, say it clear, immigrants are welcome here’

While restaurants across the country stood in solidarity with immigrants today by closing down or reducing operation hours today, more than 30 Princeton University students rallied outside Frist Student Campus Center to show welcome for immigrants. Organized by the Princeton DREAM team and Muslim Advocates for Social Justice and Individual Dignity, the event renounced Trump’s divisive rhetoric against immigrants and minorities.

“Even in the wake of the recent judicial decisions, it is important to stand together and demonstrate that our opposition is not over, or even close to it,” reads the event’s Facebook page, “We believe a show of unity will renew the energy on campus during a time when individuals are seeking to get more involved politically.”

The crowd chanted “Say it loud, say it clear, immigrants are welcome here” during the rally. They also voiced their solidarity with refugees and undocumented residents.

“We are a nation of immigrants and we must remember this, we know that immigration is a beautiful thing,” said Yousef Elzalabany, a freshman, during the rally. He further decried Trump’s rhetoric in instigating false speech that links non-profit, civil rights organizations in the Muslim American community with terrorism. It is disheartening to see organizations, including MASJID, be spoken of in connection with acts of terrorism, he said.

Princeton University