Pitt just named its first female Director of Athletics and we’re so excited about it

This is a huge win for Pitt and for women

If you haven’t heard, the University of Pittsburgh’s Chancellor, Patrick Gallagher, has named Heather Lyke as the new Athletic Director. She’s had quite an impressive career Eastern Michigan as VP and Director of Athletics. A Michigan Wolverine softball player with a history of academic and athletic success, Lyke is a welcomed new member of the Panthers team.

Not only is she very qualified, she is also the first woman to be appointed as AD at Pitt. Though it’s a first for us, it’s not her first time being the first woman to land a leadership job in sports. Lyke became the first woman to chair the NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Committee just three years ago.

Obviously, lady Panthers are excited about this. It is a milestone for Pitt and for women alike.

“I’m extremely excited for the new Athletic Director,” Pitt student and sports fanatic, Emily Yarish, told The Tab.

“I think Heather will do a fabulous job. She brought up athletic funding at EMU, and also seems to have a particular emphasis on football, which I obviously like. I can’t wait to see what she does for Pitt Athletics, time will tell. I think she will thrive here… I’ve heard good things so far. Plus, the ‘LYKE’ puns are hilarious.

“I’m always proud to be a Pitt Panther, even more proud we hired a woman to be our Athletic Director. I know how hard it is being taken seriously as a sports fan just because I am a woman. I hope younger girls look up to Heather and think, ‘If she can do it, so can I.’ For me, I had my older sister to look up to. It’s a huge step for Pitt Athletics to hire a new AD, let alone a woman, and I am extremely excited to be a part of it all.”

We also reached out to some female athletes to see if they were optimistic about the new hire. Softball player, Taylor Stimson, seemed very pleased.

“I’m so excited to help welcome Heather Lyke into our student-athlete family at Pitt (especially as a D1 softball player herself),” Taylor told us.

“I’ve heard so many accolades regarding her previous experience and dedication to student-athletes. I know she will help foster a winning community and help lead us into great success on and off the field.”

Sophia Hovis is a field hockey player for Pitt Hooligans Field Hockey. She told The Tab, “As a female athlete and business student, I am ecstatic for Pitt’s first female Athletic Director. She brings experience and dedication to our programs and I am excited to see not only a woman, but former student athlete step into this position.

“She understands the sides of both the students and administrators thus bringing a unique perspective. Lyke is dedicated to improving Pitt’s sports performance and I am confident that she will be a strong leader and role model in our community.  I cannot wait to see what she does with our programs to grow Pitt as a powerhouse in college sports.”

Overall, the response seems very excited and eager about the chance to improve the atmosphere, funding, and overall execution of Pitt Athletics. She is seen here at a practice for the football team during Spring ball, and she is giving a speech to rowdy the group about the 1976 National Championship, basically saying, “Why not now, why not us?”

Heather Lyke has quite a list of things she wants to accomplish here at Pitt, I am sure. Big plans will be executed with her as our AD, and being that she is only the fifth female to be hired as Athletic Director in the entirety of the Power 5 conferences, it’s a huge step for women in sports.

As Heather says, “Winning is contagious. Confidence is contagious.” Hail to Pitt!

University of Pittsburgh