Everything that happened when Panic! At The Disco rocked the Pete

I became a Panic! fan that night

Panic! At The Disco’s “Death of a Bachelor” tour made a stop at the Pete the Tuesday before break and played for an almost sold out crowd of superfans. Pitt was their third show on their two-month tour of America.

The band had two opening acts — Saint Motel and Misterwives. Both of them put on a great show and energized the crowd. They played in front of a curtain and lights on the front of the stage, hiding the headliner’s drumset and pyro rigs.

At long last, Panic! took the stage. The band consists of Brenden Urie (vocals, and occasional piano and drums) and his backing band. The first song they played was “Don’t Threaten Me with a Good Time.”

Their setlist consisted of many fan favorites and some of their earlier work. After they played “Nine in The Afternoon,” the band left the stage, and a short video was played while Brenden Urie sat at the piano on the other side of the Pete (which was on a raised, spinning platform), playing ‘This is Gospel.” As he was walking back to the stage through the crowd, he sang the title track of their latest album, “Death of a Bachelor.”

They then did a Billy Joel cover, “Movin’ Out (Anthony’s Song)” and Bohemian Rhapsody, which Urie said was one of his favorite songs by a gay person, after praising the young generation of fans. Urie had a short drum solo over a Rhianna track. They ended the concert with “Victorious” and confetti cannons.

Urie’s vocals were impressive and he hit his famous high notes whenever a chance was given. The minimalistic drumming fit with every song and the brass player fit in perfectly with each song he played on; he did not play on every song.

I went into the show liking three or four songs of theirs and left liking so much more. There wasn’t a single song played that I hated. Panic! At The Disco played with lots of energy and passion, and you could tell every person on that stage loves doing what they do. Everyone left the show very satisfied.

I highly recommend seeing Panic! live, even if you aren’t a big fan of the band. Chances are, you will become one by the time the show ends.

University of Pittsburgh