‘This is not a war on women, it’s a war on all of us’: Pitt College Democrats hold solidarity rally and march

Hundreds of people showed up

On Saturday, men, women and children gathered in Schenley Plaza for a solidarity march.

Organized by the College Democrats, the purpose of the rally and march was to “Advocate for issues that are at stake in the new administration, such as: reproductive rights, immigration, LGBTQ+ issues, racial equality, disability equality, and the environment.” And to “Show support and solidarity with marginalized groups in a peaceful rally.”

There were several speakers, who denounced defunding Planned Parenthood and recent immigration measures passed by the Trump administration.

The event was also held to “show support and solidarity with marginalized groups in a peaceful rally.” While it stayed mostly peaceful, a verbal dispute occurred when a pro-fascist group of about seven arrived, and were kicking around an American flag. A man took the flag from them, and a fight almost broke out, but was resolved in a matter of minutes. A video of it can be found here.

The march route looped around Cathy, onto 5th Ave, down, S. Bouquet and back onto Forbes Ave. There were several Pitt police officers guarding the entrances to Towers.

Highlights of the rally can be found here:

University of Pittsburgh