Straight from the floor: Meet some of the THON 2017 dancers who stood all weekend to fight cancer

‘It’s an experience you can’t explain’

One of the most prestigious and thrilling positions at THON is hands down being a dancer. For many, being a dancer fulfills that full circle experience that so many long for, having dedicated so much of their time to THON in the past few years. What might seem like “just standing for 46 hours” does not even begin to describe it.

You spend time with your THON families, you practice the line dance over and over again, you receive dancer mail and you may or may not lose your sanity. OK, you definitely do. But you know that it’s 100% worth it, For The Kids!

We talked to some of the THON 2017 dancers, of all different ages and orgs, finding out how they prepped for the big weekend and what their defining moment was in wanting to be a dancer.

Ian Berrier, Sophomore, Business and Society Housing

“Two weeks before THON, I cut out all desserts and even ate fat-free dressing. I started getting consistent sleep and went to gym every day, running two miles.”

“Last year, as a freshman, I thought THON was the coolest experience ever. That’s when I knew I wanted to be a dancer.”

Carly Smith, Senior, College Republicans

“I stopped drinking a month before THON. I also lift a lot and always eat healthy.”

“I was nominated to be a dancer at one of our College Republican meetings and I couldn’t pass up the opportunity.”

Fatima Pina, Senior, Alpha Delta Pi

“I focused primarily on stretching and ate in moderation since that’s how meals are at THON.”

“I knew I wanted to be a dancer when one year when I was on the floor, Cindy Howe, the mom of our THON child, was saying how much it meant to her that we were all here.”

Kyle Rutter, Senior, Kaizen

“ROTC helped prepare me. I also cut out alcohol and caffeine three weeks before.”

“When I became Family Relations Chair and built that personal connection with the families, that’s when I knew I wanted to be a dancer.”

Samantha Becker, Senior, Alpha Delta Pi

“I wouldn’t eat anything from a box and I went to the gym five times a week.”

“I felt that I contributed so much to the THON community but I wasn’t finished until I danced in THON.”

To be a dancer, you have to put in the time, work and energy and above all– you have to have that FTK drive in you. All of these dancers and the hundreds of others that stood for 46 hours on that floor have been waiting all year to live out this longtime dream and were absolutely determined to kick cancer’s butt. And that’s exactly what they did. 10 million dollars later and one step closer to a cure. All FTK!

Penn State