The Chaklos family lost their son to cancer; now they only have one thing to say to Penn State students

‘Thank you for everything’

About three years ago, Diane Yaneck saw information on 6ABC news about a dance marathon at Penn State that raises money for pediatric cancer. She thought it was a good idea and nice that college students were taking on this task. Little did she know, the efforts of these students and the breakthroughs they’ve helped make in cancer treatment and research over time would affect her life in a short few years.

Cody with his sister Kiely

As 2015 was ending and the new year was in sight, the Chaklos family’s lives took a turn they weren’t expecting. Cody Chaklos was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma at Penn State Hershey Medical Center. His first round of chemo was on New Year’s Eve.

Given a good prognosis though, hopes were high and there were no signs of giving up in the near future.

Chaklos family with Cody front left

With a loving family behind him, the support was endless. Cody’s aunt, Diane Yaneck, could only help to first think of her mother and her battle with cancer when Cody began his journey. She wanted to do anything she could to help her nephew and his family.

One tradition many may not know about are the rocks along a walkway at Hershey Hospital. These rocks are painted by patients or relatives with inspiring quotes or pictures on them to uplift spirits in the worst of days. Cody’s family relied heavily on these rocks to lift their spirits during Cody’s stays, giving them hope.

While Cody was not a THON child, being in the environment of the Hershey Hospital and the work it does for cancer is something his aunt believes may have helped him. She strongly believes that all of the work the students of THON have done helped her nephew in his battle.

Unfortunately, on October 19, 2016 Cody lost his hard fought battle with Hodgkins Lymphoma while surrounded by his loving family.

While his battle may have ended, Cody’s family now has a new mission in honoring Cody and his life. Being involved in organizations that help fight cancer and sponsoring a team in a polar plunge in Cody’s name are just a few things the Chaklos’ family are taking on.

After experiencing Cody’s battle and knowing all that THON has done while being at Hershey Medical Hospital it has made an impact on Cody’s aunt. Cody’s aunt said, THON weekend is “definitely something I’m interested in” after knowing all it does.

Cody’s family in front of a tree light up in green lights at Hershey Park to honor his battle

When asked if there was anything Cody’s aunt and his family could say to the students of THON, it would be “Thank you for everything.” They said we as Penn State students should keep up the good work and thank you for the fundraising.

For those of you who do not know, THON is benefitted by its sole beneficiary, the Four Diamonds Fund. Each diamond has a meaning: courage, honesty, wisdom and strength. If you were to ask me what diamond Cody and his family embodies, it would be strength. It takes more strength than anybody can know to experience their child, brother, friend or nephew fighting possibly one of the hardest battles in their life. Cody embodied strength when he fought instead of choosing to give up on his fate. His families bond to stick together and find ways to fight through, is strength. Strength is continuing on after the loss and using that experience to make a difference in the world.

To everybody who is battling, has battled or in the future will, fight on and know that the students of THON and everybody around you are fighting with you.

Penn State