VIDEO: Penn State student charged with terroristic threats during ‘peaceful’ protest downtown caused uproar for not being read her rights

‘This is not procedure, this is not correct’

A student who was working on a broadcast journalism project was arrested yesterday during a peaceful protest against the immigration ban on College Avenue.

“Today I witnessed my first arrest. At a weekly Pro-Justice protest held at my university, Trump Supporters tried to counter the protest by wearing MAGA hats and holding Trump/Pence signs. As the protest came to an end, this woman was questioned by police, accused by one of the Trumps supporters for making “terroristic threats,” said Atamosi Hagins in his Facebook post.

The video shows the student being detained behind a building near the protest. The student was allegedly questioned about the threats she made to another student.

“She yelled at an individual who was videotaping her and threatened to do them bodily harm,” said Michael Lowery, the Chief of the University Police.

Students at the protest claim that Trump supporters accused her of making terroristic threats. This was the event that prompted her arrest. She was allegedly questioned after this accusation and was handcuffed on the scene.

The officers reached into her pockets and took her belongings without warrant, as a witness points out in the video. They then took her into public on College Avenue and detained her in the police car.

Lowery said the police had no obligation to read the individual her rights because she was not under interrogation and she has to be placed in custody and asked incriminating evidence in order to be read her Miranda rights.

The student was released from custody and is being charged with terroristic threats.

Penn State