Mary Krupa updates us on Sneezy the Squirrel, says Sneezy has lots of respect for Punxsutawney Phil

Because apparently groundhogs are a type of squirrel

There is only one day a year when there is a rodent more famous in PA than the Penn State squirrels—Groundhog’s Day. We’ve been preparing for this day in Happy Valley for some time now. Just two weeks ago, Punxsutawney Phil himself graced us with his presence at Café 210 because he was promoting his so aptly named beer, The Punxsutawney Philsner.

Punxsutawney Phil meeting President Barron on his tour of campus

We decided to reach out to University Park’s most famous squirrel, Sneezy. Sneezy was discovered about five years ago by Mary Krupa, now best known as Squirrel Girl. We wanted to know how Sneezy really feels about this yearly competition. This is what we found.

“Sneezy considers Punxsutawney Phil a cousin because groundhogs are a type of squirrel. She has nothing but respect for his work: you won’t see Sneezy getting up early, especially if there’s snow on the ground. Sneezy prefers to stick to modeling and leave weather prognostication to the experts. She’s hoping that Phil sees his shadow so we can have an early spring – she’s not a fan of snow and cold weather.”

So there you have it, Sneezy won’t be waking up a dawn anytime soon, but maybe she’ll reconsider in the future.

Penn State