How to have a lit Sylly Week at the bars without going broke

Happy hour is bae

Syllabus Week, the one week when it’s socially acceptable to party every single night (not that we don’t do it anyway). Whether this is your second or last time celebrating, Sylly Week is one of the best weeks of the semester. It’s a time where you can enjoy the good times with your friends without the weight of assignments.

There’s only two conflicts. The first is making sure Sylly Week doesn’t take a toll on your wallet, and the second is surviving the week of binge drinking so you make it to Monday – don’t you love having MLK day off?

Here’s your go-to guide for surviving Sylly Week without killing your bank account and spending all that hard earned cash you made over winter break.

Pace yourself

Although it might be fun to test your limits every night this week, don’t. You don’t want to wake up with a massive hangover and no money left for the rest of the week. That’s no bueno.

Set a budget for each night for example $30 a night, this will make sure you don’t blow all of your money in one night.

It's Wednesday, where else would you be but at Gaffeoke?! TONIGHT: $6 liquor pitchers, $3 tallboys, $5 top shelf doubles and no cover!!

A photo posted by The Shandygaff (@thegaff_psu) on Nov 30, 2016 at 4:28pm PST

Know where the bar crowds are

This is the fun part: know what bars have specials and events going on those nights.

Monday is Mad Mex Mondays and Locust Lane at the Phryst.

Tuesday is Den Tuesdays and Happy hour is from 10-12

Wednesday is Gaffeoke.

Thursday Indigo has $1 long islands and there’s My Hero Zero at The Saloon.

And as always Fridays and Saturdays everyone is out for the weekend.

Know the happy hours and specials

Happy hours and specials are a god-send for Sylly Week. Without them, we’d all probably blow a couple hundred first week of the semester.

Some of the best happy hours in town include The Phryst, where most mixed drinks, beer and shots are half off for two hours. Café 210 also has happy hour on the weekdays from 9-11 and they have daily specials such as $3 Café teas.

As far as specials go, take advantage of Bar Bleu’s $5 fishbowl specials on Thursdays and Saturdays. Pickles has $3 long island teas all-day every day so maybe think about heading there before going anywhere else. If you’re looking for deals on mixed pitchers, The Gaff has $6 pitchers until midnight Wednesday through Saturday and The Saloon has half-off their monkey boy pitchers on Thursdays.

Pick your drinks wisely

During Sylly Week it’s best to get some bang for your buck. A Café tea pitcher, a long island, adios motherf**cker, purple Gatorade, or a Gaff pitcher contain a lot of alcohol for a small price. If you begin with one of these drinks and then go to a drink that has less alcohol (like a beer or vodka soda) you won’t spend as much money on alcohol and you’ll still get drunk enough to enjoy the night.

Pregame (a little)

Pregaming is probably one of the best ways to save a few dollars. Stock up on a couple fifths to get you through the week and have the first drink or two in your apartment. That way, you’ll spend less when you’re out.

Know where to get cheap drunk food

After a long night out it’s undeniable that the drunchies will hit you sometime this week and who can resist a little Canyon?

If you want the secret to keeping your wallet in check while still satisfying yourself hit up the pizza shops in town. Canyon and College Pizza both have dollar slice pizza deals.

If you’re not feeling pizza try Yallah Taco or Sheetz for a late night snack.

Now you’re armed to go into Sylly Week and nothing can stop you. Here it comes, lets get sylly!!

Penn State