Everything we do and don’t want to see on your Snapchat story this holiday season

Show us your drunk grandma, not your food

During the holiday season you’re sure to be snapping anything and everything, and watching your friends’ snaps is a daily ritual. With dozens of stories to watch, some things are sure to always be great to see… others, not as much.

So here’s everything we don’t — and do — want to see on your Snapchat story this holiday season.

Don’t: A 100 second story of every single dish you ate

We had our own Christmas dinner. And Christmas Eve dinner. And probably another great dinner somewhere along the way. So no, I don’t care how great your grandma’s apple pie is, because I had my own amazing apple pie and it was better than yours. Just snap a nice pic and upload it to Instagram.

Yum, but like. Everyone eats turkey or some kind of meat

Do: A few pics of your cute kitties and puppies

This is probably the most universally accepted and loved kind of Snapchat: pictures of your puppies and kittens. Other pets, too, but especially those of the furry variety. No one can resist the adorable way puppies rush up their owners after not seeing them for months, nor can anyone resist a cute kitten with a bow tied round its neck.

Don’t: Every single one of your gifts

It’s great that you got what you wanted, but I really don’t need to see absolutely every single gift your parents got you. That’s just showing off, and no one likes that. So please, spare us all.

Do: Highlights of your holiday fun

If I bothered to add you on Snapchat, then I probably care enough about you to want to see what you’re up to. So definitely use Snapchat the right way and snap a few pics of the fam and food and gifts; just don’t take a picture of literally every single person, dish, and present.

Don’t: An intro to all your family members

I’m sure you have a wonderful family, and I’m glad you love them all dearly. That doesn’t mean I need to see all of them in your Snapchat story. The only person that really needs to meet your family is your SO, and that’s something you do in person. Besides, I added you on Snapchat because I’m friends with you, not your family.

Do: The cutest fam pics

A sweet picture of your family during the holiday season is always the cutest thing. Bonus points for original poses and clever photoshopping.

Don’t: Selfies with every single holiday filter on Snapchat

I know what the filters are. I’ve used them myself many times; we all have. I don’t need to see you in every single filter, as beautiful or handsome as you may be.

Sorry not sorry

Do: The funniest things your drunk family says

Everybody loves drunk uncles and grandmas. If you catch ‘em slipping, use your master ninja skills to sneak in a vid of them laughing. Make sure to caption it with something clever.

Me too, Kermit. Me, too

No matter what you put on your Snapchat story, though, don’t forget to live it up this holiday season. Lord knows when we get back to school we’ll all be Kermit again, anyway.

Penn State